The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Kepler cards do not work in the M6600. The laptop will fail to boot. In this system you need to look at AMD GPUs for graphics upgrades. (M6700 and M6800 can run newer NVIDIA GPUs.)

The driver page indicates support for those cards because the driver also supports systems other than the M6600. However, the compatibility with the M6600 has nothing to do with drivers; it is a BIOS issue.

2. Tablichka1

Tablichka1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I immediately apologize for my English, in the previous post, I wrote it wrong. thanks for the answer, I am skipping to 8970m, 2 times cheaper than nvidea, and according to the feedback (who bought 8970m, there should not be any problems with the installation). and it is not inferior in performance.

3. Intognito

Intognito Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I might have killed my M6600 and I need help. I installed mSata SSD and because it wasn't usable in RAID I switched to AHCI. And from then I can't get past post. The keyboard is not responding and anything I did with hardware didn't help. I might try to flash bios from my old board by standalone flasher to both onboard chips, but I have no idea if it is just bricked, or if something broken. I just don't want to get new board.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Reset the BIOS. You just need to unplug the coin-cell battery and plug it back in.

5. Intognito

Reputations:
    Well that was one of the first things I did... I then disassembled the whole laptop, disconnecting everything except screen, ram, and CPU. I even tried to swap the CPU put don't get past post. Post = Dell screen. The bar at the bottom goes to full, then it gets stuck. Keyboard doesn't work, but it worked before and still got stuck. Also it seems that the CPU and GPU are running on max and doing something, the fans start spinning on high after approximately 30 seconds.

6. moriel5

moriel5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Try it, worst case scenario it will error out without touching your firmware (I tried it on my mother's Vostro 3568 when trying to fix the "No TPM detected" issue that is plaguing Dell laptops in the past few years, and it was unable to do anything, including modifying the firmware).

7. Intognito

Reputations:
    So I managed to get my laptop back up and running by manually flashing the bios chip on board. I now have a message while booting that "ME is in recovery mode" but it does nothing bad to the system and I think there is no way to get rid of it now. But by that I have resolved the problem.

8. Tablichka1

Tablichka1 Newbie

Reputations:
    tell me why do you need 11 Windows? the laptop was not originally designed even for 10. for windows 7 there is a problem with the video card driver, (my laptop did not hang tightly when I woke up from sleep) there is not much difference between 11 and 10. yes, and it is raw

9. el0375

el0375 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good Morning.
    First of all I apologise if i may be illiterate about the subject.

Currently i own a M6600 (2920XM with the quadro 4000). The laptop is a wonder, a beast at the same time, despite its age. Aged better than a 2012 asus n56v that i had.

The Main issue is that since a couple of months the laptop started to have sporadic ( and more with time even more commonly) Freezes. Sometimes its a green screen, sometimes its a white screen, sometimes its black. pressing the windows keys for restarting the Gpu makes the sound but screen stays like that with no change.
    After shut down it can work ok for a while, other times the freeze happens soon after logging in to windows. HWinfo shows me temperatures that to my eye seem OK ( Cpu on average 57C ,to 67C(max), gpu max 70C). Only concern i have is VRM that shows 110-111 max with average of 108C.

When i got the laptop from my father he cleaned and repasted it , perhaps it should have gotten thermal pads over the VRMs?
    Anyhow, is it a VRM temp issue or generally is the GPU reaching its end of life?

Thanks for your time and for any tips and info.

(P.S. I am in europe,greece )

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    ...Is that the GPU VRM temp? That's way too high. The GPU VRMs should definitely be covered with thermal pads. (The system ships that way from the factory.) If they are not then you should rectify that ASAP.
    That may well solve your issue. You could also try enabling Optimus in the BIOS if it is not turned on already. That will have the integrated Intel GPU driving the laptop display instead of the discrete GPU which could bypass this issue. (This is assuming that you have an NVIDIA GPU. It's not an option for AMD GPUs in this system.)

el0375 likes this.