The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm getting mixed up with M6700. I remember Dell limiting some of these fancier displays to NVIDIA only. (Though thinking back on it, I think that it was more because of the 10-bit color space support than because of eDP support in general.)

2. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I repasted the CPU and GPU now and to be honest I am not sure the drying of paste was really the issue. CPU cooler was pretty full of dust which may be the root cause for heating problems. How ever I put that MX-4 paste now and Dirt 3 temp seems to be:GPU84C and CPU 62C. Next time if I have temp problems I will only clean that CPU cooler and see if that is enough. Very easy to do in these M6600 as well.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Juhantti

Popping the M6600 was a pleasant thing with a couple of clicks of switches to release the plate vs all the screws with other laptops. It certainly makes for an easier space to work in. Fans are key for cooling though and if they're gunked up you'll see issues. I think I'm going to order those graphite pads since I need one for the PC I'm building a 2-pack is only another $2 vs spending $10 later on for a single pad. I read through the reviews for them RE: laptops and it sounds promising for stable temps even in confined spaces. If it doesn't work I still have some paste sitting around ;)

4. Tablichka1

Tablichka1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I use this paste for a year, in summer at a temperature of 30+ degrees, the laptop warmed up to 60-70 degrees, now the temperature jumps, under load from 75 to 50, I think in a year, the fan clogged with dust.
    this paste is also used for a video card, the idle rate was from 30 to 50 degrees, under load in the fullmark it reached 80.
    the temperature is reset by adventure fan in a few seconds.
    Thermalright TF8

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  5. Juhantti

Reputations:
    I agree. These M6600 machines are awesome to maintain. Very well build lot of space to assembly and excelent instructions on interrnet. Please share your experiences with graphite pad if you decide to use them. I though that option as well but ended up to conservative paste method. I think those graphite pads should not have any aging problems either.

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @@Juhantti

I got the pads in today and installed them a little while ago. The fans seem to be running at lower RPM's since it's not as hot. I trimmed less then a 1/4 of the pad size for each CPU / GPU and slapped the heat sink back on and put it back together. I didn't bother cleaning it as well as I have in the past and simply took a paper towel to the die's and got as much off as possible. The Antec was still tacky after 11 months of use which is a good indicator of the quality but, the pad option so far seems to be running cooler or more efficiently.

upload_2021-11-12_17-39-35.png

Of course this has bitten me in the @$$ praising something soon after applying it to the laptop but, having used them in the server for a few years now I have some more certainty about these working in this application. I ordered the 40x40 2 pack since the LGA1700 for the server rebuild is bigger than the LGA1151. Since these things are so thin it's easy to mark them around the die with your finger nail and then cut them w/ scissors to size. Could probably get away being a little less exact about it and just cut them into 1/4's and stick them on top of each die.

Not that my laptop is loud but, Chrome seems to peg the CPU @ 25% or so and keeps the fans running most of the time for the past few months and I'm sitting in the range where they would normally be running 50-80% and it's silent ATM. It's kind of nice not having the fans making much noise again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BL3SCWH

ctorange likes this.
  7. Juhantti

Reputations:
    Thanks about very interesting info. Do you know how much the pad decreased max CPU and GPU temperatures compared to paste? This MX4 seems to give 84 celsius as max temperature to GPU during Dirt 3 rally game which is actually 6 degrease more I had with Thermal Grizzly just after I put this paste to GPU. I think my next choice will be also pad if those really work so good on these M6600 machines.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    So, the temps are consistent on the CPU with some spikes up to 100C which is sort of to be expected with certain activities.

upload_2021-11-14_6-39-28.png

Over the extended period though the average isn't too bad.

GPU seems to have topped out at 81C as shown below.

upload_2021-11-14_6-42-54.png

I tend to keep an eye more on the CPU than the GPU but, things look good on the GPU side.

Things tend to run a bit hot considering the CPU in performance mode is hitting ~4Ghz with a max capacity of 4.5Ghz on the 9750H. The GPU is a GTX1650 which isn't the biggest monster out there.

Right now I have it in "Quiet" mode with those CPU temps sitting at ~50C and the fans are running @
    [​IMG]

If I boost the fans up to 100% the temps drop a few degrees further
    [​IMG]

Mind you this is @ "idle" with Chrome and a ton of tabs open. CPU @ 25-30% in "silent" mode. Things are toned down a bit more than normal or when a game is open and running full bore. I did keep the monitoring running for the extended period of time though and tried different system settings silent / entertainment / performance during this time. In performance mode is when the CPU spikes happened w/ a game being played. Outside of a game w/ performance mode active temps across the CPU cores median @ 74C with a delta across the cores from 66-80C. I'm not sure where the GPU was sitting but, typically int he 50C area when not in a game in performance mode.

I would say overall these are working pretty well considering they're a different approach compared to paste and all of the issues paste present. If I were to go back in and do a proper cleaning to the dies / HS it might make a small difference. Someone also suggested maybe doubling up on the pads due to the delta between CPU cores but, I'm not sure that would really improve anything and might make things worse due to the thickness potentially impeding the transfer of heat. Every situation is different though as well as the components / silicon lottery.

It's a $10 gamble and it's a clean one at that w/o having to reclean the dies / HS if you decide a paste is a better solution that you want to go through annually. Spending $10-$25/yr on paste adds up. $10 and done with these makes mores sense financially to me. Eeking out those premium temps for a couple of FPS might be more important to some or those who get paid to game. Don't get me wrong here as i like to see things perform @ 100% but, laptops make it almost impossible due to the confined space and limited options to swap out things like the HS or add different cooling components like you can in a tower. There's only so many options you have with the fans being specific sizes and profiles. There's not more than 1-2 HS options that fit natively.

9. m6874h

m6874h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What software is that showing the fan speeds?

10. m6874h

m6874h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know this is not the exact group to post into but the M4500 thread is closed for new posts. Please don't complain it's the wrong thread as the issue is universal.
    The issues is similar for the M6600 and I hope that someone might have experienced this issue and can help me.

I have tried 2 cpu's. The power button turns on then off. It's a quick on then off. It will not startup or get to the Dell screen.
    It's M4500 Precision i7 Dual core.
    I am trying to upgrade to i7-920xm.
    The bios is up to date. I tried different ram plus I tried just 1 bank of ram. I also reset the bios with the original cpu.
    These machines can handle the 940xm also. This cpu is meant for this machines because you could buy the machine from Dell with this cpu.

Let me know if you have any info. thanks

I am unable to post my issue in the M4500 thread.