The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GorkDeek GurdNeek

GorkDeek GurdNeek Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Aaron, that's what I expected. I just thought maybe someone would have a trick for this.

2. GorkDeek GurdNeek

GorkDeek GurdNeek Newbie

Reputations:
    Lately, I have been switching between a mechanical drive running Win8.1(right side, removable bay) and my usual SSD running Win7 (center drive bay).

Before booting the Win8.1 drive, I change the boot options to select the correct drive and UEFI.

Before booting the Win7 drive, I eject the Win8.1 drive and select the SSD/Legacy in the BIOS. However, every time I do this and reboot to the SSD/Win7, chkdsk wants to check the SSD for consistency. If I leave the mechanical drive installed, it will also want to check that drive. Chkdsk never finds any errors on the SSD and doesn't make any changes and then it boots normally.

When booting to Win8.1 with the SSD installed chkdsk is never triggered.

This only happens when doing this boot drive switch. Every subsequent reboot of the SSD does not trigger this.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I posted above that I suspect my BIOS battery is low, could that be a potential cause?

Thanks

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Doubt it, this is probably Windows 7 thinking that "someone else" has been accessing the drive contents and just running a safety chkdsk. (...I know something similar would happen if you booted Windows XP after a disk had been mounted by Vista.) If you don't need to access the Win7 disk from Win8, dismount the disk in Win8. (Go to "Disk Management", find the Win7 drive, and remove its drive letter.) Vice versa if you don't need to access the Win8 drive from Win7. If the OS's are not looking at each other's drives then you might not have this problem.

alexhawker likes this.
  4. R0XxOrBOt

R0XxOrBOt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What version of display port and HDMI is in this laptop? I want to use Gsync monitors and use Quadro Sync through display port or HDMI 2.0
    Just curious, thanks!!

Specs:
    M6800
    32GB RAM
    2X SSD
    2X HDD
    K4100M
    USB 3.0 Smartcard
    240W brick
    Full HD LED monitor
    (Looking for a dock / dockable battery)

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    DP 1.2 & HDMI 1.4.
    HDMI 2.0 output is possible with a DisplayPort adapter.

Vaardu likes this.
  6. R0XxOrBOt

R0XxOrBOt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply!

And I havey laptop in the shop right now, they have a GTX 980M and I'd like it installed. Any guides I can point them to?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Visit dell.com/support and pull the system manual PDF. It has directions for replacing all components, including the graphics card.

8. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With the help from the graphics card upgrade for M6800 thread, I got my own M6800 spec'd out with a 970M that I got from work for a pretty great deal. Working for a system integrator certainly has its perks. ;) I'm super happy with the performance, although Forza Horizon 4 runs a bit weakly at 1080p low and feels a bit choppy. I do have the option of upgrading to a 980M if i really want to but I think its more of an issue of running the game at 60hz. There some frame tearing and occasional dips that could be smoother with some form of adaptive sync. I'd love to get a 1080p 120hz display for my M6800 and a faster wireless card with built in bluetooth, but for now, the laptop runs great and the battery life is actually pretty good! Definitely beats my old HP Probook 6570b by a long shot.

M6800 Specs:
    i7 4810MQ
    32GB (4x8GB) 1600Mhz
    GTX 970M 6GB w/ modified heatsink (i.e. grinding a Nvidia compatible heatsink with a dremel until it cleared a inductor that was causing the heatsink to not fit properly.)
    500GB Samsung 850 Evo mSata (win 7 boot drive)
    500GB Teamforce Vulcan 2.5" (win 10 boot drive for Forza & AoE DE)
    2x1TB Mushkin RAW 2.5" in raid 0 (shared game and storage for both OSs)
    1080p display (unsure which variant)
    Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300
    Backlit keyboard
    OEM Equivalent 97WH battery

9. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can't upgrade the display on M6800, it's either 1080p 60Hz with LVDS or with eDP, the result is the same, the screen is caped at 60Hz, you could try to overclock it, that's your only way yo get above 60Hz (disable optimus for easier display oc)

10. Nill_Wrench

Nill_Wrench Newbie

Reputations:
    Disabling optimus is easier if you don't wanna download CRU and just use the nvidia control panel, but CRU is easy to use and I got mine up to a stable 80hz (LVDS, Tesla M6)