The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have any tips for improving the thermal performance of the cooling system on the M6800? I'm going to be applying liquid metal and maybe swapping out the thermal pads with newer and probably better ones. I've also being playing with undervolting via Throttlestop to find the absolute lowest negative mV I can run while still maintaining stability. I've noticed that in some seriously cpu intensive games, like City Skylines and Elite Dangerous, the cpu quickly gets to 100C and throttles briefly before increasing the clock speed again. It causes a cycle of constant throttling and clock degradation that results in stuttering when in game. My M6800 has a i7 4810MQ.

2. R0XxOrBOt

R0XxOrBOt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey bud, which guide did you follow to achieve your Throttlestop performance? I can probably assist you :)

3. R0XxOrBOt

R0XxOrBOt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You could probably shove bigger fans into it, if you took the bottom panel off. If you're not mobile with your mobile workstation, that is. Beyond that, the M6800 is a fantastic machine, you can shove a GTX 980M into her and get better thermals, too. Just need to get a professional-ish person (ie, someone with a rotary tool and with some elbow grease to boot), to modify the nVidia heatsink. There's guides out there! Oh, and one last thing -- it requires a (v)BIOS modification and you need a specific type of memory on board the GPU to achieve it. I can't help much more than offering those tidbits. Just need to know what you're trying to achieve in ThrottleStop.

4. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not really following a guide, well, not exactly. I just remember a decent amount from when I owned a Clevo P750TM1-G with a 8700K and GTX 1070 a few years ago. I had to sell that one for financial reasons back then. Right now, I have a -90.8mV offset on core voltage and a -50.8mV on Intel GPU. I got it down to about 90~92C but that's still not great. I won't have the liquid metal and thermal pads until Saturday

Oh, I've modified mine already. It had a Firepro M6100 originally. I got a GTX 970M free from work and I ordered a Nvidia heatsink. I made the needed cut so it would fit right on the gpu. I did the INF editing so I could get the driver installed. I would be alright with swapping out the fans for larger ones but I do take my laptop on the go with me. That said, it wouldn't interfere with how I use it. I have the rear of the machine elevated with a small rectangular box so the bottom can breathe easier. I could buy a second cover plate and just cut into that one so I can still have the protective plate while accommodating the larger fans. I just won't be able to use it flat or in bed, which would suck. The alternative is building another custom cooling pad like I did with my clevo. I got pretty ok results out of it back then, dropped my temps by around 3C on top of the ~20C drop from liquid metal.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    First time I've heard something along these lines for the 980M+M6800. I don't think this is the case. It should work with virtually any NVIDIA Maxwell GPU MXM card that physically fits; the system is pretty lax when it comes to vBIOS compatibility on these, and people have had no trouble using cards with Alienware vBIOS, Clevo/Sager vBIOS, or others. (As long at it's not one of the HP MXM cards that doesn't have a vBIOS onboard at all.) Pascal GPUs do require vBIOS work. An INF modification is required with any "unsupported" NVIDIA mobile GPU/system combo for the driver install (maybe this is what you were referring to?). And yes, unless you're a lucky one who got the "flat" version of the NVIDIA GPU heatsink, you'll have to modify it to work with a Maxwell GPU card.

[Edit] Ninja'd

6. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Installing the gtx 980 isn't to hard shd if you go with the quadro m5000m or 4000m you can avoid having yo do any cutting . When I had my m6800 o managed to get a pny rtx 3000 Quadro in it which I have since moved to one of my Alienware 17 r1 ranger s . As for the thermals I had a 4910 mq ovetclocked to 4.2 GHz using throttle stop and it only hit 85 c full load . The only thing is with the gpus it's the x bracket that is needed :)

ruboj likes this.
  7. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Mine had the 4910mq oced to 4.2 GHz ( highest it can go because of locked mutil except the 42x . Never exceeded 85c with mx4 thermal paste

8. ruboj

ruboj Newbie

Reputations:
    @Zero 1 do you mean the turing based cards ? if you do not mind my asking, how did you manage this and did it work in the m6800 without issue ? thank you.

9. Zero 1

Reputations:
    It was s bit if a pain I had to disable legacy boot make sure it had secure boot and also needed to add a .hash string to the nvram

ruboj likes this.
  10. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Lost Optimus but it worked after that

ruboj likes this.