The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. billxt95

billxt95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Since we are moving from the rumors/pre-order stage to having units in hand, I think it's time to start a proper Owner's Thread. I will post some pictures of my new M6800 and some shots of my M6700 for comparison.

I have ordered and received a system with the following load out:

Dell Precision M6800 CTO Base
    Intel Core i7-4390MX Extreme Processor 3.2 (Turbo to 3.9)
    NVidia Quadro K5100M 8gb VRAM Graphics (771/1800) (up to 903/2500)
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3L-1600 RAM
    Dell Wireless 1601 (Dual Band x2 + 60gz WiGig)
    Windows 8 Professional
    256gb Samsung PM831 SED SSD mSATA in SATA-3
    2x1gb Seagate 1tb+8gbSSD Hybrid Disks
    Smartcard Reader Base + FIPS
    2x Blu-Ray
    17.3" UltraSharp FHD (1920x1080) WV AG LED-backlit Multi-Touch with Premium Panel Guarantee
    Integrated Cam/Mic/WiGig Antenna (Miracast and Wireless Dock Enabled)
    DOCK5000 for WiGig
    Slice Batt

Has anyone else out there recieved there machine yet/ Any questions you might have of me?

Pictures and SpecViewPerf coming soon. First quick and dirty bench was 3DMark11, all std settings, system still unoptimized, result was P7954.

jsimanella likes this.
  2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    How's the WiGig dock?

jsimanella likes this.
  3. Cedricm

Cedricm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A YouTube review would be great.
    Do you intend to calibrate the monitor with a hardware probe?
    If you will use Adobe Creative Suite (or other gpu-accelerated software) can you show how good is the gpu-acceleration working?

Would also be very interested with your experience with WiGig docking station, can you benchmark it against a gigabit connection? Will it work with higher than FullHD res?

jsimanella likes this.
  4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the WD hybrid disks are finally available? Too bad only 8 GBs of cache was used (they announced up to 32GB, but IIRC it was up to the OEMs to order a particular cache size which influences the end price obviously).

5. billxt95

billxt95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Initial impressions are fairly good, but reception can be spotty. When the signal is strong, it reports about 3.5 gigabit/sec of bandwidth, by the time it scales down to 350mbit, full motion video starts to appear choppy. I think I will have to experiment with dock placement a bit to find the best location.

6. billxt95

billxt95 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I'll get around to the Youtube review, maybe. I do use Adobe Creative Suite (CS6 and CC) and I'll try to get something quantitative up, is there anything specific you are interested in?

As for the calibration, I do not have a probe, so that will have to wait, but my preliminary thoughts about the panel are that it is only OK, and seems to be TN, or at least not IPS from the viewing angles. Out of the box it looks to be significantly cooler in color temp than the IPS RGBLED panel on the M6700 and the Anti-Glare coating is very aggressive, lending it that silk-screen effect which makes text and bright images a bit fuzzy. The touch panel works as expected- it is not really part of my workflow but it does make Windows 8 a bit more tolerable.

7. billxt95

billxt95 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was incorrect on that one, they are Seagates, the model is ST1000LM014 and they already have a Dell firmware update ready for them.

8. Cedricm

Cedricm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if there are standard tests for heavy duty processing that are supposed to be accelerated by the gpu (filters in PhotoShop & première, after effects rendering? In other words how useful it is to have a Quadro for Cs work.

Where do you put the wigi dock? In the Dell add I saw the Dock was on the left of the monitor and the notebook on the right, so I guess about 30-40cm apart.

9. Prolixious

Prolixious Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. EricC67

EricC67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Curiously the M4800 from the same site show better result than the M6800 althougth the processor is more powerfull and the machine smaller. The size of the M6800 should lead to a quieter computer as it was for the M6700 in comparison of the M4700 in it time...

If this is true, this is annoying... I will receive my M6800 next Tuesday. I'll let you know.