The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah those are good points. I did luck out and this m6800 has an eDP display so thats awesome. So right now I am running with optimus and have a k3100 quadro, is there any benefit to running with optimus off and just having the dedicated gpu handle everything? In my mind having optimus on makes the most sense to reduce heat and only use the dedicated gpu when needed. However, I might be missing a reason as to why having it off is a good idea heh.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's just less complicated with it off. Some apps/games work better without the Intel GPU in the way. Heat from the GPU isn't that much of an issue; the GPU and CPU have separate heatsinks in this system. The main reason to have Optimus on is for battery life.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  3. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just curious, are there any screen upgrade options for the m6800? Overall I am def not impressed with the current panel.

4. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there anyone here seasoned in using throttlestop with the m6800? I followed this guide below and whatever I try it seems the best I can get on all cores active at just under 3.4 @3.392ghz. I get a solid EDP current flag which according to the guide says you unlock the tdp power and raise the current limit but either I am not doing it right or its not working cause no matter what I do I can't get above 3.392ghz. Can anyone help me out?

ThrottleStop - Overclocking Dell Precision M6800 | NotebookReview

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022 at 6:50 AM
  5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    if you want a 1060 level of performance, you should get a Quadro P4000 and flash the 86.04.2B.00.02 bios using a CH341A with 1.8 adapter. The P4000 was working lovely on my M6700 (which have the same issue for supporting Pascal card) and it's still pretty affordable, it was a 1060/980M performance for 65~70W of power consumption. It require to enable optimus on LVDS display.