The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ChodTheWacko

ChodTheWacko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a heads up to anyone -
    I recently did a bunch of updates (intel drivers/windows update/etc) to the OS, and then I had a problem with windows suddenly and unexpectedly shutting down.

In the event manager, system logs, I see:
    The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.
    Shutdown Time = ‎2020‎-‎02‎-‎28T22:43:49.190490400Z
    ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel(R) Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework
    _CRT = 373K

There are no thermal warnings in the BIOS logs.

I saw another thread on this for the Dell E5470s:
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2258120-false-overheating-on-dell-latitude-e5470s

So I think it's an issue of faulty Intel Thermal Framework drivers, rather than an actual HW issue.
    Assuming your 7510 is running just fine, can you post the driver revision of your intel thermal drivers?
    I've currently uninstalled mine. My machine would shut down minutes after starting up, which was infuriating.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On my Precision 7510, Intel thermal subsystem driver is 10.1.1.38, according to Device Manager.
    I did download the Intel chipset driver package from Dell, but otherwise I've never explicitly installed a driver for the thermal framework other than what has popped in through Windows Update.
    I know that it is a good configuration right now, I've had the system running some video encode jobs keeping the CPU very busy.

3. ChodTheWacko

ChodTheWacko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    Can you tell me what the version number of 'Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework' is in "Apps & Features" aka add and remove programs?
    They have different package numbers.

I installed Chipset_Driver_JTXD1_WN32_8.2.11000.2996_A04.EXE
    from https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=jtxd1
    and the subsystem driver is: 10.1.1.13

After installing this, my system is running just fine.
    I might slowly start upgrading the version to see where it breaks.

- Frank

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Well turns out I guess that I did not install the chipset driver package after all. I don't have an entry for that one. Just Intel bluetooth, graphics, and management engine. I must have figured that what got pulled down from Windows Update when I set up the machine was good enough.

alexhawker likes this.
  5. nkar

nkar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any1 managed to overclock memory of m2000m?
    Tried many drivers and many programs(MSI afterburner,evga precision, nvidia inspector) . Seems that I can only overclock GPU frequency. The programs can not modify the ram frequency
    Any idea?

Also the GPU frequency is maxed at +135 Mhz . My card seems to have more headroom. Any idea to increase the headroom??

6. scmoky

scmoky Newbie

Reputations:
    i have same laptop and m2000m, and only oc si gpu for 135mhz. Would be nice to overclock gpu and memory because i have low temp.

7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if you can put a NVME or SATA 2242 SSD in the WWAN slot?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You cannot.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You can check the BIOS setup status page or SATA drives page and it lists all of the available drive slots. Everyone one of them is accounted for without the use of the WWAN slot. A drive installed in the WWAN slot won't be detected by the BIOS.

There is no way a SATA drive would work without a connection from the slot to the system's SATA controller.
    A NVMe drive will not physically fit. NVMe drives have "M key" and the WWAN slot has "B key". (Check photos and you will see that the "notch" for the card connector is in a different place.)