The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    The Precision 7510 is the successor to the M4800 - this is Dell's fully featured 15.6" mobile workstation.

Useful Links:
    Specs:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    huntnyc and alexhawker like this.
  2. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I fail to see how this is an upgrade. They must really not be wanting former Thinkpad customers? Why else would they crappify the keyboard layout? Seriously, Home / End as Fn combos?

Hopefully they will still release a full-sized Precision without such weird added handicaps.

Also: I'm gonna have a good laugh at the users not being able to not use the VGA connected beamers (without a silly adapter) that are still pretty much everywhere.

huntnyc and ygohome like this.
  3. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thinkpads do not have Home and End as Fn combos!

Neither do I, but if I have to I'd rather do it on my own laptop, properly set to "presentation - timers off", than with some random person's laptop that disables external screens after 1 minute of inactivity and shows some totally inappropriate desktop background when resuming.

4. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both have a 10 key pad where you can disable numlock and use 7 and 3 as dedicated Home and End without using Fn key. You are right if you need the numlock enabled for the 10 key pad then you have to use Fn for Home and End on the Dells. Other than that though they are the "same". Just seems the Fn combo for Home and End is overplayed as a reason to pass on the Dell. Some people just can't even cope I guess.

5. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope, no such luck: The "full-sized" Precision 7710 uses the same idiotic keyboard layout. Not sure, but the keyboard may even be identical except for the missing numpad.

6. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Huh? The 7510 has a numpad same as the 7710. You are probably thinking of the 5510, that one doesn't have a numpad..

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, two things:
    1) I happen to use Home and End a lot, and having to use Fn-key combos gets old really quick.
    2) If I'm shelling out the kind of money I would for one of these, there's no justification for having to cope with a sub-standard keyboard layout. Sure, some crummy little $500-lappy? Fine. In this price class? Absolutely not. This is even more true given the fact that alternatives exist (in contrast to the 16:9 situation). Let me repeat, the layout they have chosen doesn't even begin to make any sense: They have significantly diminished the efficiency of the keyboard for absolutely no reason that I can see. As a matter of fact, I would be more than a little bit curious to hear what in all the world they were thinking when they did this.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On top of the above, in addition to Home and End I frequently use shortcuts like Ctrl+Shift+Home, which become more cumbersome when the Fn key is tossed into the mix. There are other less used keys they could have made Fn combos instead. (Looking at you, next track and previous track keys.)

9. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah sorry, it is frustrating when someone like myself comes along and downplays having to use Fn key . If it is any consolation (I'm repeating incase it was missed)... disabling the Numlock gives a dedicated Home and End on the 7000 series numeric pad. And because I'm not affected much by the Fn issue, when I read comments such as "idiotic keyboard", it sounds like hyperbole. Especially if the person saying it has already said in other posts they are maybe considering the p70, with the only thing different between the p70 keyboard and the 7000 series keyboard is the dedicated Home/End keys on the p70.

I'm not condoning the new dell keyboard design. I like everything about my old m6500 keyboard. I would have liked if they kept with it or made improvements on it without changing it alot. And I'm pretty sure Dell is aware (or they should be) that people are not liking the new 7000 series keyboard layout. The Dell Precision project manager mentioned he will be discussing it with his team. I'm not sure what that can do this late in the game though. If they change it, they wouldprobably require a pretty major push back on the release date. If they go ahead with their planned release date using the keyboard they show in photos (whenever that may be) and change the keyboard later after the initial release, it will anger alot of the customers who purchased in the first release.

What they should have done is get feedback before committing. Maybe they did, but doesn't seem that way from comments on the forum.

Pavel O likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I also use the keypad a lot, so having to remember to turn on/off num lock is also not appealing.

I don't think there's much that can be done at this point. Best case, they release updated keyboards in the future, and users can buy them and swap out the existing keyboard on their own. More likely, they'll wait until the next generation of Precisions (7520/7720) to tweak the keyboard.

For me, I complain but I'm actually not buying one this go round. I'm a couple years out yet from needing to replace my workstation. So, I hope this is fixed by then.

(I'm not going to jump over to Lenovo, because I think putting the Fn key where the Ctrl key should be is even worse. :p)

alexhawker likes this.