The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Aaron, I cannot disagree on any point, as usual. Yes, MacBook Pros are much better home offices, once you get stuck under CFL light I don't think it would be very nice at all. If you live near a Genius Bar, and don't have a pressing business case for function keys, a MacBook Pro is not bad and it retains its' resale value like nothing else. Still, one spilled latte and it's gone...

I've had a lot of dealings with Dell's support with my previous laptop, a Precision 7720, and I cannot fault Dell's service and support. The engineers I've talked to all generally seem to know their stuff, and that's a comfort in and of itself. I'm going to forego the docking station with the 7730 - when I used the E-Port docking station with my 7720, I would get a monthly bluescreen that only cleared up when I removed it, so I'm going to keep things simple. I am definitely looking forward to it's arrival.

2. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was actually checking out the Thinkpad X1 as an upgrade to my business partner's T410. She doesn't put it in a backpack very often, so she would be OK with the exterior plastic. But, I have so many laptops in this office, it'd probably be a crime for me to get another one. I really like hearing about the pros and cons of other workstation laptops, however, because it really fills in my picture of the modern market.

3. dk23

dk23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't believe you can have SSD with P4200 as it requires the larger battery that takes up the space the SSD would occupy

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can have four SSDs in the 7730 no matter which GPU or battery you pick. You are only blocked from having a 2.5" SATA drive. The class 40 and Samsung 960 drives should both be NVMe, so no issue.

5. dk23

dk23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, Got my terminology mixed up

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Just throwing this out there: I recommend that you flash from Linux if you are familiar enough with it. (You don't have to install Linux, you can use a bootable "live" environment.) If you do it with Windows, shut down as much background stuff as you can. Back when I did vBIOS flashes on my K5000M from Windows, it seemed like half of the time it would fail and leave the card in a bad state... (At least twice, it BSOD'ed right when I started a flash...) Scary, but I was always available to recover.

Have Optimus / graphics switching turned on so that you will be able to use the system even if the dGPU goes wacky.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for the warning.

@Regular_Ragnor, any idea of a VBIOS dump? Thanks much...

8. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd be willing to, but I'm running a P4200 so I don't think it'd be of much use to you.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oof, thanks. I thought you had a P3200; my bad.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I know @Mazed has a 7730/P3200 but I haven’t seen him on here in some time...