The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is a known issue updating the dock firmware because of a conflict with the Intel GPU driver. Supposedly they will be updating the Intel GPU driver soon to address this. (Do you have the latest Intel GPU driver installed?)

If you don't have graphics switching turned on then this would have to be a different issue.

2. V.Effalo

V.Effalo Newbie

Reputations:
    Bingo! Turned graphics switching off, and the update went smoothly. Many Thanks.

3. Mazed

Mazed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation, I'd be happy to help, might need some guidance though. ;)

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just open GPU-Z and click the "Save BIOS" version right next to the BIOS version, and post the file here...

5. Mazed

Mazed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well now isn't that easy!

@Ionising_Radiation here you go dude, hope this helps. v86.04.8A.00.31

Attached Files:

Div033 likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126, quick to help, as always. @Mazed, thanks for the dump. I'll see if it works (hopefully yes), and post here...

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    @Mazed, @Aaron44126, @Div033, and anyone else, the flash worked perfectly. I ran a Fire Strike benchmark as a preliminary test, and was very pleased with the results: an easy 10-12% performance gain with a very cursory power limit increase, courtesy of @Mazed's VBIOS. @yrekabakery, you might be interested in this, too.

Here is the benchmark comparison. When I get the time, I intend to do a detailed benchmark comparison including temperatures, clocks, etc.

Here is a screenshot of the VBIOS comparison from the Pascal TDP Tweaker. Note again that this was the stock 7730 P3200, flashed on the 7530's P3200:
    [​IMG]

The GPU temperatures also stayed well within limits: I saw no significant temperature increase over the stock VBIOS. There is still about a 15–20 °C headroom, depending on one's comfortable temperatures.

If we let the memory loose, then we potentially have a GPU that might break 15000 graphics score, on the FS benchmark.

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nice! Did you use NvFlash or a programmer?

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I used nvflash. Mazed's VBIOS was signed, so it was very straightforward.

yrekabakery likes this.
  10. monitorhero

monitorhero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anybody with experience tell me the difference between the 7730 and 7530 except for the size and higher quadro options? And is the bigger case beneficial at all for airflow and heat dissapation?
    Also how does it compare to the 5530 which looks also very attractive for someone looking for a new laptop.
    Apparently the 7730 is louder than the 5530 on max load. But the average noise is lower on the 7730 compared to the 5530. Can someone tell me how noisy the individual Dell laptops are (I got my information mostly from the tests on notebookreview.com). Maybe someone with Dell expertise can help me in my thread here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-laptop-with-some-gaming-capabilities.827550/

Thanks in advance for any infos.