The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    New dock firmware 1.0.8.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...e=dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb18dc&driverId=V4N1V

Fixes
    - Not Applicable

Enhancements
    - Improved stability of power source

...Whatever that means...

[Edit]
    Installed the dock firmware update and was greeted by a screen afterwards claiming that I had a 130W power adapter attached and that the system would run throttled. (There is actually a 240W adapter attached to the dock.) I shut the laptop off, disconnected the dock cable, and then disconnected power from the dock, and then reconnected everything... No problem after that.

Odd, but everything seems to be working at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Manjeet Singh

Manjeet Singh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Is anybody know good laptop stand for 7730?

3. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same behavior on my 7730. Scary moment but seems to work.

4. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using an Ikea Bräda. Fits perfectly, although it's not the easiest for cable routing, but it's like €4 or $6 and fits the 7730's size.

5. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Back again...hoping to get some more great input from you notebook gurus!

The M7300 that I purchased from Dell Outlet came with two 1 TB Toshiba M.2 PCIe NVMe drives, model KXG50ZNV1T02.

The BIOS settings are as follows:

Boot Sequence is Windows Boot Manager
    Set to UEFI
    SATA is RAID on
    Slot 5 is SSD-0
    Slot 2 is SSD-1

C:\ drive is 2TB, using both 1TB M.2 drives RAIDed. I would prefer to keep the drives separate (e.g. – AHCI).
    What I would normally do is copy the OS drive to another M.2 drive using something like EaseUS and just use that. The problem is that I want to change to AHCI. Would the copied drive boot under AHCI?
    The other option I have is to use Dell OS Recovery tool. Of course, I’d have to reinstall all my programs that way…no biggie but still something of a pain to deal with.
    The bottom line is that I’d like to get a smaller M.2 NVMe drive (say, 500 GB) and put the OS on that, and then repurpose the existing 1 TB drives as storage. I’d like to change to AHCI or at least non-RAID so that each SSD would have its own letter. (I dislike RAID because if one drive dies, then the data’s lost on the other one too.)
    Any thoughts about what the best way is to get where I want to be?
    Thanks!

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Switching from RAID to AHCI is easy, all you have to do is make sure that "safe mode" boots immediately after the switch. Windows will detect that the disk controller has changed and set up the new driver appropriately.
    The problem here is you are actually running Windows on a RAID array so you can't switch to AHCI and then boot safe mode. If you have a spare M.2 drive that you can install separate from the array, then you can solve this.

1. Clone the Windows install from the RAID array to the spare M.2 drive.
    2. Remove the RAID drives or disable them in the BIOS.
    3. Boot Windows from the spare drive. From the desktop, hold "Shift" while pressing the "Restart" option in the start menu. During the restart, some options will be presented. Pick the "advanced startup options" one.
    4. As the system finishes rebooting, access the BIOS and switch from RAID to AHCI.
    5. When Windows boots to the advanced options menu, pick "Safe mode".
    6. After a good "Safe mode" boot, reboot into normal mode.

84Lion likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So for some reason, my PCH temperature shoots up when the laptop is unplugged. It idles at 50 °C when plugged in, and goes to 80 °C when unplugged, leading to a system power draw of some 30W. Any ideas, gents?

8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Maybe change in fan profile (less active fans will decrease air flow).

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    The PCH is actually nowhere near the fans (and in fact isn't even cooled).

I realised the problem, though: Link State Power Management was set to 'Off' under battery, rather than 'Maximum power savings'. For some reason, that causes the PCH temperature to shoot up, as well as power draw. A single option, nearly doubling power draw... Wow.

10. V.Effalo

V.Effalo Newbie

Reputations:

I downloaded and tried to execute the 1.0.8 TB18DC update. Received an error message from the Dell Firmware Update Utility that "Collecting Dock Information Failed" and there was no opportunity except to exit. I checked that there were no other apps running and that nothing was connected to the TB18DC except my 7730 connected to power. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

upload_2019-2-16_15-11-4.png

Thanks!

Dell 7730, i9-8950HK, NVidia Quadro P5200, 64GB memory, Windows 10 Pro 1809