The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are some very nice deals on 2TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 drives at the moment, but I wanted to ask about the newer Gen 4 versions. Is there anyway to get the 7730 to make the most of the incredible 7,000+ MBps speeds that the Gen 4 HDs have, or does it just get bottlenecked because of the 7730's components and the only option is to change laptop? Are any simple upgrades available to be able to get those speeds internally without too much hassle/cost? Thank you.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    7X30 only supports PCIe gen 3. You can use a gen 4 drive but it will run at gen 3 speed. You need Precision 7X60 to take advantage of gen 4 (and it only has one gen 4 slot). You can’t add gen 4 support to an old system, it depends on the capabilities of the CPU and PCH.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. slimpower

Reputations:
    Thanks, Aaron. That's what I thought, but those speeds are just so attractive. Anything that reduces the time to back up and speeds other things up that much is great. May have to look at 7X70 when that comes out, as just one slot on the 7X60 is not worth the change. Though by the time, 7X70 comes I am sure it will be the same problem, just the speeds of Gen 5 or 6 will be even higher. Cheers.

4. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm getting ongoing notices to upgrade to Windows 11 on my 7730. Has anyone upgraded yet? Any issues with doing that?

5. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    At least one user in the "Dell Precision / Windows 11 information" topic reports "I upgraded my Precision 7730 to Windows 11 and it is working great ...".

I intend to delay upgrading to Windows 11 for several years, or until Microsoft restores some of the features they've removed. To date Windows 11 offers nothing I consider a significant improvement and, for how I configure my desktop, a huge step backwards.

6. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Thanks for that link.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 11 since I don't want to introduce any new, potential issues. But I was curious about compatibility in case a compelling reason to upgrade presents itself.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Compatibility should be fine. The system meets the Windows 11 system requirements and Windows 11 seems to be fine with drivers from Windows 10 (...even on systems that don't meet the Windows 11 requirements).
    As for whether you should upgrade, I have posted my thoughts on the subject recently over here.

frostbytes likes this.
  8. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Thank you. Good thoughts in the other thread. I'm going to hold off on the Win 11 update for now.

9. LadislavBohm

LadislavBohm Newbie

Reputations:
    Just want to report that on my 7530 after downgrading to BIOS 1.13.1 and doing factory reset in BIOS I can undervolt again using Throttlestop.

10. slimpower

Reputations:
    I upgraded to Windows 11 quite some time ago and all the important stuff works etc.

Only minor issues, for example I had to re-associate some file types (such as .css and .xml) with .txt files and re-pin them, my Windows Spotlight (lock screen) no longer works, but apart from that I am happy I upgraded.

There are some small benefits, Paint has been updated so all the options are in one window rather than two and you can easily keep the start button to the left of the screen where it has always been in Windows.

Overall, I am happy I upgraded.