The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    See if disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS makes any difference?

2. asalcedo

asalcedo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you Aaron for your suggestion. But, no luck.

I disabled Secure Boot and still the USB does not show after F12.

And I have also, after disabling Secure Boot, tried adding Boot Options in the BIOS Boot Sequence pointing to the File System List that mentions USB and using the different file names in the root directory of the USB drive

Surely someone has done this on a 7750....

3. asalcedo

Reputations:

The bootable USB drive has the following files:

root directory: bzimage, initrd which are larger files, syslinux.cfg and isolinux directory

isolinux directory: boot.cat, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, Idlinux.c32

Which is the actual boot file? If we can identify it I will try to use it in the add Boot Options of the BIOS Boot Sequence

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The file system browse add-a-boot option thing works only if you point it to a UEFI bootloader. (I believe these typically have the extension ".EFI".)

I remember another user complaining about this on the Precision 7X60. Same thing, couldn't get the Samsung tool to boot via USB. I don't remember ever seeing a resolution.

I wonder if the Samsung tool does not support UEFI boot and requires legacy boot? Precision 7X60 does not support legacy boot at all. (Not sure about 7X50 but it would be a separate option in the boot section of the BIOS.) Googling, this seems to be a pretty common issue with the Samsung tool (and not just with the Precision laptops).

5. asalcedo

Reputations:
    Indeed, my Google and Youtube searches on the successful resolution of this use legacy boot, which it is certainly not in the BIOS of my 7750

It does seem that the Samsung tool does not support UEFI boot, if on top of that you don't remember this matter having been resolved, then I will just format the drive with Windows and accept the slighlty worse performance.

Many thanks

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    If you have any other systems that can hold an NVMe drive, you could move that drive over and format it from Samsung Magician running from within Windows on that system (I think?).

7. asalcedo

Reputations:
    I did try that already. But all the laptops with NVMe drives I have here, Precision 7740, don't have the legacy boot either. Perhaps my 7710 does. But it is too late, I already formatted the drive with Windows and, the Samsung reported performance of this 970 EVO Plus is almost similar to that of the 980 PRO, even a bit higher in Random Reads. Not unexpected with this PCIe 3.0

Other than that, these two new 7750 that I got are really superb. And I like the smaller footprint

8. asalcedo

Reputations:
    Are there different versions of the US keyboard for the 7750?

On my 7750 the Fn characters are printed on the keys with a very faint light blue with a small font size which are hard to read. Especially with dim ambient light.

By way of comparison, the characters on the keyboard of my 7740 are printed on a bigger font with more vivid white, much easier to pick out.

9. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a new (have it for about a month or so) 7750 with i9-10885H and RTX 4000. I have it connected to a WD-19DC dock. I have always noticed that the DELL splash screen at startup seemed very bright. I went into BIOS and found that with switchable graphics enabled, the brightness controls in BIOS do absolutely nothing. I move them and the screen brightness does not change at all. Once the computer boots into Windows 10, I can change the brightness via the Intel control panel or the F6/F7 keys.

By contrast, on my 7740, when I'm in BIOS and move the brightness controls, I can see a difference on the screen. '

BIOS was just updated BTW, was on 1.8.1, now on 1.9.1.

Anything I can do to enable the screen brightness controls in BIOS? I prefer a lower brightness screen, especially at startup.

10. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, what is the TDP of the RTX 3000 for Precision 7550 ?
    I was looking on ebay to get a gpu for mine and I just saw an RTX 3000 at 400USD and a T2000 at 200USD, do we have parts number for the heatsink for these card ?