The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    40-60min out of a charge isn't really a lot, it's like drawing more than 100w substained load using battery, it seems very unrealistic that the laptop and/or the battery accept this kind of load for this long.
    As for the 3H under light load, it's usually because of bad power management settings, likely ASPM disabled (SSD & PCIE device all the way up in power consumption) or some power saving things from the Nvidia control panel disabled.

The best way to reduce power consumption would be to "take control" of the CPU power management, for instance in my 7550, my 10875H (8C/16T) undervolted by -140mV draw about 100w when loaded at 4.3GHz but it drops to 45W when I limit the max turbo to 3.6GHz using Throttlestop (which I also use to undervolt but it require some NVRAM tweaks linked in the throttlestop thread), as for the Nvidia graphics card you might want to force Vsync, however I don't much about Turing Quadro cards since I don't have any dGPU on my 7550 (only using TB3 eGPU), I know that there isn't such things as reducing clock/voltage/TDP because it's locked.
    Try to enable ASPM and set it to "Moderate Power Saving" or "Maximum Power Saving", following this :

As for sturdy laptop that would fit close to your requirement, there is the Getac X500 and B360 Pro (CPU is a bit weak) that come with a GTX 1050 4GB or it's similar Quadro

2. kimvette

kimvette Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi folks, last spring I upgraded from my trusty M6400 to a 7750, and I see references in the EFI configuration screens to storage passwords and FDE, but I am not finding where to configure the passwords for the SSDs. Does the 7750 support FDE on NVMe SSDs at all? It feels like lost functionality where my mobile workstation from over a decade ago supports FDE but this mobile workstation doesn't actually appear to despite its being implied in several screens.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hardware FDE is supported with BitLocker. You'll have to set a group policy setting to get Windows to prefer hardware encryption instead of software encryption (easy to find via Google). If you would like to require a password at boot time you can enable that too (from within Windows / BitLocker settings). I don't remember seeing a place to "lock" a drive with a password in the BIOS on these new systems.

4. kimvette

kimvette Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you but that is more volume encryption than true FDE, plus, that solution doesn't encrypt my Linux filesystems. With my M6400 with the SATA SSDs, I set a BIOS password for each SSD, which fully locked them including the partitions, and when I entered the password after POST, the drive would be unlocked and I could mount Linux filesystems for Windows (or vice-versa if I load up Ext2Fsd drivers). Bitlocker is a half-baked solution since it leaves the partition table and non-ntfs filesystems unencrypted, whereas with the M6400 the entire drive was encrypted, completely transparent to the OS except for the fact that the OS can query the block device to verify it is encrypted (important for things like falcon-sensor which monitors security settings and compliance).

So the question remains: How can I leverage SSD FDE (not volume encryption) on the Precision 7750?

Basically, I want to avoid bitlocker and LUKS and the shortcomings of each, just like I am able to on the M6400.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  5. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thought I would give an update on this. Dell has been great about trying to correct this problem but they have no idea what's causing it. They had a tech come out and install a new motherboard but the issue still presented. After the tech did the install, I checked to make sure the system worked correctly and discovered a new issue (because the tech for some reason unchecked Switchable Graphics) in that the graphics card (RTX 4000) has this odd and rather random (but rather frequent) flashing and glitching. I guess I never saw it before (probably because I enabled switchable graphics from the start). Dell had offered to do a system swap which I initially didn't want to do (love the 7750 otherwise, it's great performance-wise, love the UHD screen, etc.) but after the graphics card issue I took them up on it. Now, of course, the supply chain issues have come to the fore and I have been waiting for quite awhile. Dell is very good about sending PMs every few days and I am being patient, but getting a bit concerned. I checked the Dell website and unless you go for a "data science workstation" you cannot get a 7760 with an i9 processor OR UHD display. And of course the DSW only comes with Ubuntu Linux so if you want Windows 10, I guess you'd have to pay extra...for a workstation priced at well over $5,000! I'm hoping they can get this issue resolved. I really don't want to live with the inability to change screen brightness in BIOS but if no other options present I would accept a replacement (working) graphics card and live with the issue.

6. mdsurveyor

mdsurveyor Newbie

Reputations:
  7. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. ov_Darkness

ov_Darkness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you charge your 7x50's with USB-PD? Mine won't accept any charger/Powerbank I've tried.
    Baseus, Zmi, Samsung nor Lenovo. I've tried 25-65W ones.

9. vdang2k

vdang2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I recently bought a 7550 RTX 5000. Can I put it in the 7750? I noticed that the heat sink for 7750 rtx 5000 does not fit well on the 7550 card.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, the 15" and 17" cards are not physically compatible with each other. (Screw holes & output ports in the wrong place...) You need a 7750 RTX 5000.