The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. vagrantsense

vagrantsense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone successfully install windows 11 on a 7550 or 7750 yet? It’s not coming up in windows update for me and I tried the manual update off the website but I’m getting a strange error message when I start the install program. I’ve read some horror stories about BIOS changes by Microsoft and some systems bricking so maybe it’s not a bad thing?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Windows 11 will not be offered non-current systems until sometime in early 2022 (according to previous guidance given by Microsoft). I would recommend that you wait until it is offered before trying to upgrade, unless you are especially interested in it (and are willing to live with the early "pain"). You should be able to kick off a manual install from here. What error are you getting?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

If the "installation assistant" tool does not work, you can download the ISO media (on the same page) and try that. (You can just double-click the ISO file to mount it.) The install process is actually a bit different.

3. vagrantsense

Reputations:
    So I download the installer program and that is fine. But when I open it, it shows 0% downloaded for a few seconds and then this error message:

Attached Files:

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Try bypassing the "installation assistant", then. Grab the ISO image, mount it (normally double-click will do this) or extract the files (archive tools like 7-Zip or WinRAR can do this), and run the setup.exe file. It should guide you through the upgrade process.

5. vagrantsense

Reputations:
    Would that be a clean install or a typical update where everything stays the same file and settings wise but the system is upgraded ? I hate clean installs and avoid having to set everything back up…

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It will offer you the choice for either. You can do an upgrade that keeps your files/apps/settings/etc.. (This is how I have normally done Windows 10 "feature upgrades".)

You can also roll back to Windows 10 afterwards if you find something important to you that doesn't work (you have ten days before the backup files to allow this are automatically deleted).

7. mdsurveyor

mdsurveyor Newbie

Reputations:
    I have purchased a 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus and want to clone my existing windows installation and use the 970 as the boot drive. Before installing the 970, I had switched from RAID mode to AHCI in BIOS. Originally I was going to use Samsung's data migration software, but it ends up hanging at 0% and the computer won't reboot to start the cloning process. Thinking it probably had an issue with Bitlocker, I downloaded Macrium Reflect 7 and cloned the drive using that.

However, after cloning and removing the original drive, the 970 will not boot into windows. The 970 is listed in Bios, though when I select it there will be an error saying there's no bootable media found. Am I missing something in the process? What is the usual method people are using to clone their drives to their super spacious samsungs?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    If you press F12 at boot to get to the Dell logo, does your cloned drive show up as an option?
    (Sometimes it just needs you to detect it like this once to kick it into working...)

9. mdsurveyor

mdsurveyor Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it does show up as one of the boot options. I have tried multiple times to get it to continue booting to windows and it's a no-go.

10. ov_Darkness

ov_Darkness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm disappointed in my 7750 battery life. It won't manage even 3h under light use.
    With heavy usage, I'm looking more on 40-60min.
    As I'm using it in the field I'm looking for some external power solution.
    My 40W USB-PD powerbank won't even manage to charge it for 10seconds.
    So much more beefy solution is needed.
    I'm looking on Ecoflow River/River Pro, Jackery 500DE batteries. Golazero is to weak and expensive (only 300W max output from 6kg 500Wh battery).
    Do you have any other similar system to reccommend?
    Denser= better (as I need to travel by plane size and weight is major consideration) - and yes, I know that I need permit from the airlines for everything above 100Wh.

Next question: I'm looking for something that will protect my laptop in harsh conditions (mines, quarries) - hardshell would be nice, but also sth along the lines of Peli 1090, but better prepared to use laptop in it not only for carrying.

There's another solution to my issues: if anyone knows about small and sturdy portable PC/Laptop with recent innards and Nvidia graphics (16GB RAM and 4GB VRAM are bare minimum) please let me know.