The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I think it’s an issue with the dock to be honest.

I run it with the lid closed, dock plugged into the laptop and connected to 2 x 27 inch screens. This issue happens randomly and it seems it might be from the plugs not seating in the sockets properly?

The speakers are connected via the 3.5mm dock. So something like the Apple one would solve this issue? I have given up trying to roll back drivers or uninstalling Realtek!

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think it’s likely. Just $9, so cheap to try (if you’re not already using the USB-C port on the dock for something else).

RockDr likes this.
  3. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm very close to pulling the plug on a 7760 to upgrade from my trusty 7730, since there are some steep discounts right now for Black Friday. (e.g. i7-11850H machine for $4,769, down from $7,950 CAD.)

But the discounts don't apply to i9 versions, only i7. For photography and videography, how much of a step down is the i7 compared to the i9? Would I be better off waiting until the 7x70 next year? Does anyone have a sense of how much of an improvement the next generation might present?

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Take a look at the charts here.
    https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-...md-ryzen-7-5800h-cpu-in-single-threaded-test/

I’m waiting for next-gen, myself, to finally upgrade my M6700. (I’m in a position where I don’t have to wait for a bargain, though…. I’ve been saving bit by bit since 2017 and I’m set for a high-end config at launch.) 7770 should be bringing DDR5 and multiple PCIe4 NVMe slots. Alder Lake’s hybrid architecture allows for the huge multithreaded performance leap, edging out even M1 Max (though using more power to do so).

frostbytes likes this.
  5. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmmm. Maybe I'll wait for the next generation too. I'm getting by with what I have, despite wanting a performance jump (and eyeing the new MBPs, etc.).

Thanks for the thoughts.

6. vagrantsense

vagrantsense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have a 7750, 9TB storage, 128GB RAM, RTX 4000, and a new 14 inch MBP M1 max 32 cores, 2TB storage, 64GB RAM.

I use my 7750 for work, there is a program called TrialDirector that is Windows only. I’ve tried running it on a Mac through Parallels before, but it would constantly crash so I just stick with a high-end 7750 and it has no issues.

The new MBP is incredible. I’ve never had a system so snappy. I love the apple ecosystem but for the first time that isn’t the best part. If you go all in with apple and use FCP or another apple program, get a MBP. If you use creative cloud for PP, then stick with Windows. I will say there is an issue with the new MBP, I’ve been getting random crashes and reboots when a) web surfing or b) memory leaks. I’m hopeful they will fix that with the next software update.

I had plenty of BSOD when I first got my 7750 but a good driver update program solves that issue. The only problem that is on going is that the driver program wants to use newer drivers than Dell sometimes and that can cause comparability issues so sometimes you have to ignore those drivers and stick with what Dell blasts out. I update my RTX 4000 from Nvidia and I havnt had an issue there. Once I figured the driver issues out I was good to go.

i still think the power alone on the new apple silicon isn’t enough to switch. If you game or use programs that you need windows for, don’t use a Mac with Rosetta, you are better off with a Windows machine and the 7x70 is the best in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you can get my with all apple programs or native M1 programs by 3rd parities, I would go with that. It is incredibly powerful and the glitches with be resolved (put no driver issues to worry about).

7. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This appears to have solved the problem, fingers crossed!

8. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am looking for a second and or third drive for my 7760 for video editing with Adobe Premier Pro. Both editing and storage. I have the OEM Samsung 2TB PM91A in the PCIe 4 slot. I was looking at the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro. Is there anything different that anyone would recommend?

Also, any videos on taking the bottom cover off? I looked on youtube and see the 7750 but not 7760. I have read through the service manual.

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    7750 and 7760 have the same chassis so the procedure for taking the bottom off is exactly the same.
    Samsung 980 Pro is a PCIe4 drive but the system only has one PCIe4 slot. Samsung 980 Pro will run at reduced speed in the other slots. You could save some money by getting Samsung 970 Evo Plus instead.

10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. They are much less. What about the sabrent drives to go up to 4tb?