The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a Sabrent Rocket Q4 4TB in mine and it works fine. (Haven't tried putting it back in the PCIe4 slot, which I had trouble with but now it is understood that it may be a hidden switch that needs to be kept pressed; I'll be messing with that in a couple of weeks.) Sabrent Rocket Q (instead of Q4) would be cheaper as it is a PCIe3 drive.

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks. Looking on Amazon the Q and Q4 at 4TB look to be the same price at around $600. But the 970 EVO 2TB is around $200. So I might be better with two or three EVO if not the Q4.

Do you know if taking the bottom cover off messes with the hidden switch in the PCIe 4 or is that just when changing the drive in that slot?

Also, does the 7760 come with the required hardware for adding the drives (screw and or heat sink)?

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Taking the bottom panel off shouldn't mess with the switch as long as you don't do anything with the preinstalled PCIe4 drive.

Yes, the hardware needed to add drives is included — screw and heatsink. The preinstalled spare heatsinks have a sort of plastic film on the bottom covering up a thermal pad that you will need to remove when installing a drive. (Should be obvious what I'm referring to once you're actually in there.)

You can use Windows "Storage Spaces" to combine two or more drives into a single large volume without relying on the system's RAID functionality. I'm using this in "Simple" mode (analogous to RAID 0) to get the most possible space out of two drives in my M6700.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Thanks. I went with two 2TB 970 EVO Plus. I will probably just keep as separate drives.

5. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Anyone using the Nvdia drivers from the Nvidia site opposed to Dell? I am using Dell drivers still. I had text getting blurry on external monitors (keep lid closed). It happened randomly. Sometimes I could close an app to fix and others I had to restart. Only happened a 4 or 5 times since I got the 7760 in July. The other day I disabled the hybrid graphics and have not seen it since but it has not been that long since disabling hybrid.

I also had an issue where one of two monitors do not wake from screen in sleep (not computer). If I turn the monitor on and off it comes back on. I do not recall if this happening since I turned off Hybrid graphics or not.

I have the WD19DCS dock.

I also get audio issues through HDMI or Display port where it does not want to work. If I change the audio source from one monitor to the other, then it usually comes back. I assume this is an Nvidia Driver issue.

Last, this morning Windows update updated the Intel Display driver to 30.0.100.9955 which is the same that recently popped up on dell download site; however, I have hybrid graphics off and the intel display adapter is not show in the Device Manager. I would have thought the driver would not update if not in the Device Manager with Hybrid off.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Next time you see this happen, check:
    * Open NVIDIA control panel
    * Go to "Change resolution"
    * Select your problem display, scroll down to the color settings, and see if it is using YCbCr422 for the output color format. If it is, switch it to either of the other options and that should clean it up.

I've run into this before too, on my Precision 7530, when using the WD19DC dock and two 4K displays. I'm not sure why the display output will default to YCbCr422 sometimes.
    (On my Precision 7560, I am not using hybrid graphics and not using a dock, and I haven't run into this yet.)

If you have the "direct discrete output mode" option DISABLED (with hybrid graphics ENABLED) then the dock displays will output through the Intel GPU and you should not run into this. (If your issue is actually the same as mine, anyway...)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  7. eldoudou

eldoudou Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm using the WD19DCS dock too, only with 1 Dell U2720Q screen :
    - Windows : "direct discrete output mode" option ENABLED with hybrid graphics ENABLED (Autoselection selected under Nvidia panel).
    - Ubuntu : "direct discrete output mode" option ENABLED with hybrid graphics ENABLED (RTX A3000 forced under Nvidia panel).

No issues like yours on both OS.

Just to check, are your dock firmwares up to date?
    [​IMG]

8. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently, windows update forced the installation of the last Realtek drivers. The quality of the sound has decreased (even from my non-expert opinion, it is obvious), especially at the highest level (sizzling, etc.). Has anybody noticed it or should I consult with an audiologist/psychotherapist?

I feel the power cord is very small compared to my old M6800. Is that a change from the recent models or has it been like this for a while?

Finally, has anybody upgraded to windows 11? If yes, how was your experience? (drivers stability, etc.)

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    (I noticed new Realtek audio drivers come down through Windows Update earlier this week... Currently pending a reboot before the new drivers are in use so I haven't actually tried them yet.)

The new power adapters were launched with the Precision 7X30 series in 2018. They do have a shorter cord. Old-style adapters still work (they are cross-compatible) so you can use any power bricks that you used with your M6800.

As for Windows 11... In September, we had a malformed JSON file driving their Start menu apps recommendations causing lockups at login. In November, we had multiple built-in apps failing to launch because of an expired certificate that Microsoft somehow didn't catch in time. The taskbar has regressed, missing power user features (can't drag files onto apps to open them, the time is missing on multiple monitor taskbars, etc.). Personal opinion: This OS didn't have a proper preview period — the normal preview period for a new major Windows release is around one year, but this one just got three months, not enough time for feedback to be seriously addressed. It was rushed out in order to try to drive up holiday PC sales. I wouldn't recommend upgrading at this time "just because", only if you have a specific need.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    katalin_2003 likes this.
  10. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, as always you gave me a sharp and useful answer. Let us know how it goes after your reboot.