The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a new Realtek audio driver available on Dell Precision 7560 / 7760 support web page.
    Version is 6.0.9247.1, A07. Package file size is 630 MB. Previous version 6.0.9172.1, A01 was 1.2 GB. Quite big change!
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-7560-laptop

Dell is promoting also other drivers with Realtek:
    This audio driver requires the Waves MaxxAudio Pro or Dell Optimizer application to be installed to have full functionality.

Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application is now offered separately, version 6.0.9247.1, A07.
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-7560-laptop

I have switched to DAC so I do not have to suffer Realtek drivers.

alaskajoel likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Confirming that this is the same version that was pushed out through Windows Update earlier this week. The Windows Update version was just the driver without supporting software.

You need one of the other products mentioned (Dell Optimizer or the MaxxAudio software) in order to configure the 3.5mm jack to something other than "headphones". For example, you cannot switch it to be used with a headset (headphones+mic combo) without using one of these products.

3. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just tried Skype and my interlocutor was complaining again about my microphone stuttering. I am pretty sure the issue is from the last Realtek audio driver from windows update. It does not seem too complicated to fix it, but I need to find out which device Hardware ID(s) are causing the issue.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I've been having quite a few crashes and BSODs in games like Halo Infinite and Red Dead Redemption 2.

On a whim, I ran Memtest86 (the newer non-FOSS one) and lo and behold, something like 900+ errors. I'm using the Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz CL18 memory, with the XMP profile enabled.

I'm currently re-running the test with XMP disabled and DDR4-2666 JEDEC timings. I hope this pans out; if not, I'm going to transplant my old Samsung ECC memory from my 7530 to the 7560. I've got a Xeon, may as well take advantage of it.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So, Memtest86 passed with no errors when the XMP profile was disabled. I wonder if the motherboard isn't configured well enough for XMP, because it's a rather low-key, unofficial option that Dell didn't really acknowledge...

If I have to run JEDEC timings, I might as well have ECC, so I think I'll swap the RAM sticks anyway.

6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I had the same experience with the 64GB Ballistix 3200CL16 kit I was using a while back. The sticks would perform fine at the XMP profile in my small form factor desktop but they would give very quick errors when put in the Dell with XMP enabled. Running at JEDEC speed and timings works fine in the Dell.

I went back to the HyperX 3200 JEDEC kit a month ago and haven't had a single problem.

win32asmguy likes this.
  7. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Strange one tonight -- spent a couple hours and couldn't figure it out.
    Precision 7760 with 1920x1080 500nit display, Nvidia T1200 GPU + Intel integrated GPU

Installed Thunderbird 64 bit and migrated a profile from a 32-bit thunderbird; all seemed fine, but I noticed when writing a new email the thin gray subtle shadows in the thunderbird default system theme were gray squares instead of shadows on the new laptop. Thought it was a software issue, so went back to install (blank) profile, but couldn't resolve. Then I noticed when I clicked the about menu, the "about thunderbird" window showed as weird color rays and half the text showing, half disappeared, in that about window until I mouse over it, then the about thunderbird window shows fine with the normal thunderbird logo and all normal. Repeated many times and it is all weird until I mouse over, then fine.

Very strange. Still thought it was a software issue with thunderbird, but then plugged in an external dell monitor to the displayport, and once I launched thunderbird with the external monitor hooked up, all is fine.
    (it was still messed up until I closed and relaunched thunderbird with the external monitor connected.) Launched thunderbird many times with the external monitor, and all is fine, shadows on write new message are fine, and about window is fine. Unplug external monitor, and laptop screen shows weirdness on those two items again.

Went to nvidia control panel, application, added thunderbird, and set it to use the high performance nvidia adapter thinking it was an issue with the intel integrated graphics although I've not seen something like this affect one basic application before such as the about window of an application, but still the same on the laptop screen. Still fine on the external, messed up on the laptop screen.

Very weird experience.

8. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I found another person had a similar problem with a totally different machine at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1355326 -- disabling hardware acceleration in thunderbird AND then launching holding shift worked. Now launching normally it is fine on the 7760 laptop screen as well as the external monitor.
    So I guess it was software not hardware, but seems very weird still -- what kind of hardware acceleration would thunderbird be doing that would mess up such a simple 2d gray shadow and the seemingly very plain simple "about thunderbird" box?

katalin_2003 likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Funny timing. On my Precision 7560, I happened to notice that the "about" box was sometimes rendered strange in Firefox ESR recently, with two gray boxes covering up some of the window in a sort-of checkerboard pattern. I can't reproduce it right now. I was probably running with integrated graphics at the time — I had hybrid graphics on for a few days last week as an "experiment" but I normally run with hybrid graphics off. (Firefox otherwise runs fine, that's the only visual issue that I've seen.) If your external display is connected to the dGPU directly (using rear ports OR using USB-C ports with "discrete display output" enabled in the BIOS) then this would seem to be an issue with integrated graphics only. I don't think it would be anything wrong with your laptop per se, just a strange issue between Mozilla and the Intel GPU driver.

summersun likes this.
  10. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks!

I think you are right, some issue with the intel gpu driver and the latest mozilla builds. I have the external monitor on the mini displayport. I really hate problems that are intermittent (thunderbird seemed ok one version ago on the integrated display, or maybe the problem just decided to surface yesterday, I'm not sure.)

Do you normally set it to only use the nvidia gpu in bios by unchecking Switchable Graphics and rebooting?

Is that the only way to bypass the intel driver for something like this?

(For now, I don't think I need hardware acceleration in thunderbird; so far, it seems to be ok with that unchecked in thunderbird if the issue is confined to thunderbird for me. I thought I'd have better battery life if I left integrated graphics on, but I don't need weird graphic scares if I'm traveling!)