The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes... If you make this settings change then the NVIDIA GPU will drive everything and the Intel GPU will be disabled. There's a battery life hit (...if the NVIDIA GPU is even properly powering off on your system, which doesn't seem to be the case for everyone). I don't use the system on battery power very often, and I prefer the simpler configuration of just one GPU in use. You can try to set your app to use the dGPU (either from the NVIDIA control panel or from Windows Settings → System → Display → [scroll down] Graphics settings). It may not actually have an effect on this problem depending on what exactly is going on...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    summersun likes this.
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Does Dell Command | Configure allow manipulating the Hybrid/Dedicated BIOS option so it could be scripted to switch and reboot easily?

summersun likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I haven't messed with that personally, but I think you can change most/all of the BIOS settings using it or Dell Command | PowerShell Provider on newer systems.

summersun and win32asmguy like this.
  4. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks very much. Yes, years and years ago I thought I remembered there being something I switched with windows running in either the nvidia or intel driver properties regarding switchable graphics behavior. The only selection I could find within windows last night was under the nvidia control panel, 3d settings, and then either global or program specific selection of the nvidia high performance or integrated graphics, but changing from intel to nvidia there didn't seem to make any difference with this particular thunderbird anomaly. (not sure if this type of graphics anomaly would fall under "3d".) Didn't try the better battery/better performance settings under windows settings/display/graphics. Many thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  5. Academic6xxx

Academic6xxx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just a note to share two things. First, I saw a Dell Premier configuration webpage offer an Nvidia 3080 as an option that was not much more than the A4000. Does anyone know if that is some kind of mistake? Or if it is not a mistake, does anyone think it could somehow lead to compatibility or other problems (apart from the different ISV drivers/optimizing)?
    Second, I hope a 7760 order I placed today will go through after two previous orders wound up getting canceled in the past two weeks. The estimated shipping is one month and hopefully it will not become longer. Is there anyway to know if an particular part or CTO option is delaying the production such that I could adjust the order without the missing part for a quicker production turn around time?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I posted about this earlier in the thread. GeForce 3080 RTX is an option on these systems. It doesn't show on the web site but you can place the order through a sales rep over the phone (...or through premiere configuration, apparently). There should not be any problems, but if your software relies on the features of pro-level cards then you should get a RTX A-series card.

7. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Plot twist: Dell is making a ThinkPad T15g competitor.

8. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone install bios 1.6.1 released on 12/9/21?

I also see firmware updates for the Samsung OEM PM9A1 drives.

9. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Installed the BIOS update yesterday...so far so good.

Seeing the updated Samsung firmware on Dell's sight prompted me to run Magician where I discovered Samsung had also posted a firmware update for my 980 Pro drives. I applied those after doing the BIOS and again, so far so good.

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Did Dell ever mention TDP for this new card, or can we assume 90W for the 7560 and 115W for the 7760 just like the A5000? Either way nice to see this as an option given that the XPS 17 tops out at a 70W 3060 and has less expansion, a less desirable port configuration and no 4k 120hz display option.