The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been told that they are looking at both changing the design of the card holder, and removing the switch from the board altogether. I'd think the latter wouldn't happen until the next-generation system is out. Anyway, I haven't heard for sure if they changed the card holder design, but since we haven't heard about this issue in a while, maybe they did. (Anyone with a more recently received system want to post a photo?)

[Edit]
    There's also been some BIOS updates so I wonder if they would address this. I was also told that there's no downside if you somehow jam the switch so that it is always pressed down (as long as you don't break anything). Maybe they could have updated the BIOS to just ignore the switch and have the NVMe slot always active? (Might not be possible to do with a BIOS update, depending on how hardwired that switch is in the design.)

Speaking of, I also installed BIOS 1.6.1 earlier today and it went fine, no issues.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  2. Academic6xxx

Academic6xxx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone know for sure about the Energy Star option? My Dell rep was helpful with my recent 7760 order, though I just noticed in the paperwork that he accidentally selected Energy Star when setting up my order (which was not in the specs he quoted for me and I somehow missed when reviewing). I’d rather not delay my order by canceling and correcting. Can some people say for certain whether this Dell Energy Star option is or is not anything more than some Windows power and sleep settings that could easily be changed? I have read all the relevant posts here and elsewhere going back fifteen years and this question keeps coming up. Kind thanks for any confirmation one way or the other...

3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From what I read, it is just settings in bios and windows and a sticker. I just checked my 7560 and 7760 orders and they were both "not energy star qualified." If anyone else got one that is energy star qualified we can look at comparing settings.

I found this.

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...ts_Documents/en/dell-consumer-energy-star.pdf

4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I updated the bios to 1.6.1. No Issues. I also updated the PM9A1 firmware and no issues. On updating the firmware for the PM9A1 it took seconds and did not ask to reboot. I did a reboot anyway. I also suspended bitlocker before the update as well but I do not think that was required since I did not see that listed like it is for the bios update. I installed both by download the exe file and not through Command Update. I have done other updates through Command Update.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This is my understanding as well. It's just some default settings changed, nothing different about the actual hardware.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I posted the bit about the PCIe4 NVMe drive switch a couple of days ago and realized that like many important tidbits, it'll eventually become lost in the thread and difficult to find.

I just set up a pile of links to key posts on my profile information page. I'm putting a link in my signature. If you can think of anything particularly noteworthy that should be included, let me know...
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/members/aaron44126.451188/#info
    ( Also including current thoughts about what the next Precision systems are looking like which I will try to keep up to date :) )

[Edit]
    Also, my Sabrent drive hasn't disappeared yet so I think it's been fixed. :) (It's been 40 hours and normally it would disappear in less than 1 hour.)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I installed two Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB in my 7760, These are in the PCIe 3.0 slots. Using Crystal DiskMark the Read is 3512 MB/s and Write is 3265 MB/s.

That looks like the advertised speed. Is this the max of the PCIe 3 slots. If I went with a 980 Pro on the PCIe 3 slot would it be faster?

The Samsung 2TB PM91A I have in the PCIe 4 slot is Read 6568 MB/s and Write 4928 MB/s.

8. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My Samsung 980 Pro in the PCIe4 slot gets
    6890 MB/s read 4847 MB/s write
    My Samsung 980 Pro in the PCIe 3 slot gets
    3482 MB/s read 3366 MB/s write

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Seems about right. PCIe4 bandwidth is exactly double PCIe3. (Looks like drives still have to catch up on write speed but are pretty well saturating read speed.)

10. rinconmike

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G Did Dell find out what was causing this? Was there an official fix implemented?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021