The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure if this helps

My 7760 bios has a Block Sleep Option in the bios under Power. It notes:

Block Sleep
    This option lets you to block entering Sleep (S3) mode in the operating system. Note: When Block Sleep is enabled, the system won't go to sleep, Intel Rapid Start will be disabled automatically, and the operating system power option will be blank if it was set to Sleep

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I tried toggling that option on and then off again. No change to available sleep states from powercfg /a regardless of the setting. I guess this option may block S0 suspend as well, without needing the PlatformAoAcOverride registry key added?

3. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you tried the registry key? Because before I added the registry key because before I added it, powercfg -a would say
    After I entered it, it would state
    I don't have any problems with S3 Sleep on my X17 after I enabled it and it's reasonable to think the 7760 and X17 are very much alike. So, just give it a try. You can disable it any time if you have problems.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    With respect to this whole S0 debacle, I think I might need to reinstall Windows (what a pain in the neck), because although I have a Hibernate power option, the notebook doesn't actually hibernate and just switches off the screen. Moving the mouse (whether trackpad or external mouse) or hitting a key causes the notebook to come back on again.

I know the 7560 can hibernate and can do S3 sleep (@win32asmguy, it appears to be a Windows-only thing) because both suspend-to-memory (aka S3 sleep) and suspend-to-disk (aka hibernate) both work perfectly fine in Arch Linux (and presumably any other Linux, too).

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Hmmm. Well today I dumped bios 1.6.1 and extracted the setup menu so I could manually tweak the hidden settings. ACPI S3 was indeed disabled in both the 7560 and 7760 by default (not showing up in linux or windows, regardless of PlatformAoAcOverride registry key setting). I re-enabled the hidden option on both machines but so far only have success with suspend/resume on Linux. I also seem to have some kind of issue with Windows 10 Pro 20H1 and the 7760 where it cannot completely suspend/shutdown/hibernate, it always ends up with a black screen and power button lit. There may be an issue with my Windows installation though so I need to swap the stock drive back in and test. This machine (especially the 7760) is otherwise very excellent so I will make it work even if it means giving up using suspend altogether until S0 can be more reliable.

alaskajoel likes this.
  6. EyeOfTheBeholder

Reputations:
    I think here might lie the answer to your problem. PlatformAoAcOverride supposedly only works from 20H2 onwards (see this reddit thread). Why didn't you install 21H2 anyway?

Edit: Come to think of it, 20H1 pre-dates the Tiger Lake platform. I think installing a Windows version that pre-dates your hardware might not be a good choice.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    2004 through 21H2 are all basically the same for purposes of hardware support; they have just toggled on support for some additional features that were delivered (disabled) through the monthly cumulative patches.

8. EyeOfTheBeholder

Reputations:
    I disagree. 20H1 (or 2004) did not support 11th gen Intel CPUs (as well as AMD Ryzen 5xxx CPUs). For a complete list of supported CPUs in 20H1 see here. Installing a Windows 10 version that does not officially support your hardware might result in sub-optimal configuration during setup, which may or may not be corrected by OS and/or driver updates. In any case, it simply a safer bet to use a Windows version that officially supports your hardware. Especially when you just can create an up-to-date Windows install media with the media creation tool.

9. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Before reinstallation can you list which Dell support software are you running like:
    - Dell PowerManager
    - Dell Optimizer
    - etc.

These may affect your hibernate performance.
    If in use what if you remove these one by one? Maybe easier than full installation.
    I will try to check my Dell 7760 tomorrow when I am back to work. I use always just shutdown so I can't comment more.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I only have Dell Power Manager. I removed nearly all other Dell software.

alaskajoel likes this.