The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yep it was time for a reinstall. Originally I just moved the drive over from my old system so I did not have to re-install for the last week before the holiday break.

So now I have 21H2 installed, Hibernate and Shutdown are working as expected. Just have Modern Standby disabled for now until it can be tweaked to work as reliable as S3 did.

2. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw an update for Dell PremierColor Panel Driver and the changelog mentioned: Supports the new AUO LCD panel. Does anybody know what are the specs of this new panel?

A side question a bit off-topic: my sister wants a desktop and I wonder if you have any advices. I know pretty well the notebook market, but it has been almost 15 years since my last desktop. She has basic computer needs (Microsoft office, web browsing, etc.), but she needs something reliable and available now if possible. I would be grateful if you have any advice, it does not really matter what brand it is.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If your sister doesn't know much about computers, and doesn't want to know, you could probably get her an iMac. They retain value, have in-person support at genius bars, they can run Office... there are some pretty solid aspects about them. At the other end of the price spectrum, you could get her an Intel NUC, just a tiny little non-upgradeable PC that is affordable and will likely do whatever she throws at it for $500 or less.

4. jim ricardo 78

jim ricardo 78 Newbie

Reputations:
    2 questions:

1. With my 7760: I use MAGICJACK…for some reason I am unable to get any sound from my computer (e.g. youtube etc.) when MAGICJACK is running…anyone else have a similar issue?

2. I posted this question a month ago…

I ordered a sleeve for 17 inch from Amazon for the 7760…it was much too big for the 7760…I tried using the sleeve from my older 6600 Precision…also way too big. Any suggestions for a sleeve that will be a secure and good fit for the 7760?

Since then, I had a multiple chats with DELL sales and they have no idea which sleeve would fit the 7760; as their website does not list any sleeve for the 7760.

Anyone have any ideas which sleeves will make a snug and good fit for the 7760?

5. Razibus

Reputations:
    That is exactly what I told her. She tried the mac of her husband, but she said she does not want to do the effort to switch to Mac. The thing is that I live far away, so I cannot put a dual boot myself and her husband is not really the type to do it. It would be preferable to buy a computer ready to use and which would last as long as possible.

6. mdsurveyor

mdsurveyor Newbie

Reputations:
    If you want to stick with Dell, the Optiplex 5090s might be something you want to check into. Have a few that we ordered for our office and they are working out well.

7. Razibus

Reputations:
    Thank you for the advice. I have myself an Optiplex 7080 at work and it seems pretty reliable.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ordering an additional Precision 7560 for a new co-worker. Lead time is one month... unless you want the UHD panel... and then it is four months. Holy cow.

9. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That and IKEA is doubling some of their prices.

RUN FOR THE HILLS! ;)

10. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Do you have this BIOS setting ON or OFF?

Power management - USB Wake Support - Wake on Dell USB-C Dock

I changed if OFF (untick the box). Now I have to always connect dock cables to laptop and the start the PC from power button.
    A bit less automation but now it has been 100% fool proof ever since.

When ON just connecting the WD19DC Type-C cables to the laptop started the PC, but it almost always failed.

Before I got messages like to SupportAssist:
    Your dock has failed. You may experience reduced performance until your doc is serviced.
    or
    You have plugged in a lower wattage power adapter, USB-C charging device, or power pass-though device.
    Your system will continue to work, but may not perform at it's peak.
    or
    Multiple docking stations are not simultaneously supported. Disconnect additional docking stations.
    Your dock has limitation. To continue operating normally, your system may draw power from your system battery.
    Please make certain both docking cables are securely connected to your system for full functionality.

In all cases both cables were connected and cable lights were on.
    I have seen these messages with Dell Precision 7X40, 7X50, 7X60 and also with Latitude models with WD19TB dock.

Restart of Dell WD19XX will help for few days but then the same problem comes back.
    Of course if you just shutdown the PC and leave all cables connected the next start is successful.
    In my case the dock remains in the office power on all the time. I always take the laptop with me to to home.