The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have seen most of these messages on Precision 7530 and 7560. You are saying that if you toggle the "Wake on Dell USB-C dock" OFF then you haven't been getting these anymore?

2. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes OFF seems to work a lot better. Just one week with current setup. So far every start has been successful!

3. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if it is related, but another user with a different problem fixed his issue by changing the same setting. See this other topic.

4. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Not directly, it was about unwanted automatic turn on. I had problem with automatic starting when connecting laptop to the Dell dock WD19DC.
    But anyway good you that you bring up this topic. There is a lot of settings, which define how the PC will start.

5. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use my 7760 with a WD19DC dock and a few external monitors. When I lock the screen, the monitors always used to turn off after a few mins.

I have them set to do this:
    upload_2022-1-8_21-2-54.png

Since a couple of days ago though, this no longer happens - they just stay on all the time, displaying the lock screen.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

6. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Figured it out. I had to uninstall Steam to fix it...

7. pjw_

pjw_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, my first post here - warm welcome words to you :)

I'm encountering a bit strange display issue on two laptops, one of them being 7760.

In short: I am looking for a display replacement for the above model. What I have now is BOE NV173FHM-N4F. I'd be very, very grateful for any suggestions (my eyes turned out to be too sensitive for it).

In detail: the display causes extreme eyestrain - my eyes start hurting within minutes, I can't focus, have to wait a couple of hours to recover. Dell replaced it once (for exactly the same model, despite me insisting on sth else...), of course the problem didn't go away, so it's most probably about technology. Fun fact 1 - it's not PWM that is to be blamed, since I have a couple of other PWM displays / TVs around me and nothing of that sort happens. Fun fact 2 - I am experiencing exactly the same problem with Lenovo Legion 5 with a non-PWM AUO display. Fun fact 3 - I have never experienced such a problem with any other display, and I consider my eyes to be normal and in (at least relatively, considering I'm 37 and wear glasses) good condition. On the software side, I have tried perhaps all reasonable options - various Ubuntu / Kubuntu versions, Windows 10, various Nvidia driver versions, switching between Intel and Nvidia... In case anyone of you heard of / experienced anything like that - I'd also be very grateful for info.

Is above, I'm primarily looking for display replacement proposals (hope it's not GPU that's causing it...). Thx.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Ah, this is a common problem with PWM-driven BOE displays. The PWM frequency at low brightness settings can be *less* than the display refresh rate, which is a massive problem in my opinion.

I'm not sure if someone here has the 4K 120 Hz display option, you can see what the part number for that display is.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ...Might require swapping out the display cable as well to go from FHD to UHD?
    Can this system accept any "standard size" 17.3" eDP display? Might just get one from eBay and try your luck. (You'd have more choice over the manufacturer/model that way.)

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You may be able to swap an Innolux N173HCE-E3A, pulled from a Dell G7 7900 without having to change the display cable.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=34376

Note, the specs on this are technically lower: 72% NTSC, 300nit. Although its much better than the 45% NTSC option Dell offers for the 7760.

If it is not PWM bothering you it may be the dithering/FRC algorithm used to simulate an 8-bit panel with a native 6-bit panel. Very few FHD panels are true 8-bit displays, for that you may want to just try the UHD panel and use integer scaling.