The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pjw_

pjw_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx.

I've seen somewhere earlier in the thread that you also had a problem with BOE - have you made any replacement?

With UHD indeed I'd have to swap cables - thinking of it, but I'd rather try with FHD first as it's quicker in replacing (Dell actually make a mistake and sent me the UHD version first, but with an FHD cable... Of course instead of re-sending the UHD cable, so I could just try it out, they insisted in returning to BOE FHD display :) ).

As for dithering, I remember turning it off a few weeks ago - it gave me an instant relief (on both laptops). But there is more to it, as the problem didn't go away completely (and it actually becomes more severe, even with dithering off and color scale set to "Limited" in the Nvidia panel; perhaps my eyes are getting more and more tired).

Well, I'll try the Innolux and report. In case you have any more thoughts on the problem in the meantime, I'd appreciate it very much.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yeah, when I had trouble with UEFI and Secure Boot, the CS rep assumed it was a problem with the display (which it wasn't), and replaced the BOE in my 7560 with an AUO panel. Noticeably harsher antiglare coat, but at least there is no PWM.

3. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the UHD panel is a true 10-bit or 8-bit + FRC?

On another subject, there is a bios update 1.7.0 and the changelog is pretty small: Firmware updates to address security vulnerabilities.

4. pjw_

pjw_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, a short question: is there a way to disable Nvidia in 7760 (either disconnect it from the built-in display, or physically turn it off)?
    I'm looking for sth else than switching Nvidia to Intel with PRIME - I tried it and it didn't work. Besides replacing the display I'd also like to check if there's sth in Turing and Ampere that hurts my eyes. Thx.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can't completely disable the NVIDIA GPU without removing it and replacing it with the HDMI/mDP pass-through card which is what is in systems that ship without a dGPU.

However you do not need to worry about this so much. If you have graphics switching turned on, the Intel GPU is driving the built-in display. If no program is actively using the NVIDIA GPU then there is no reason that it would be outputting anything to the screen.

In the end, I rather doubt that the specific GPU would cause something like this. Where the input signal is coming from won't really change anything about how it displays with no analog display signals in the mix.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  6. pjw_

pjw_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you think of any other reason why exactly the same eyestrain problem occurs in two completely different machines (Legion 5 15IMH05H, RTX2060, DC-regulated AUO 144Hz display and 7760, RTXA4000, PWM BOE 60Hz display), and nowhere else? I'm puzzled by this, to say the least...

7. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So my docking station issue occurred again this morning. It is random but enough to be annoying now, particularly since this is a AU$500 dock.

The dock is a WD19DCS.

I use my laptop with the lid closed, hooked up to 2 x 27 inch monitors. When I plug the twin USB-C into the side, sometimes only one lights up and I get a screen on boot that says "You have plugged in a lower wattage power adapter, USB-C charging device, or power pass-through device. Your system will continue to work, but may not perform at its peak"

If I click continue, the system will boot through but then the dock won't charge the laptop.

I just spent close to an hour on the phone with Dell today, and after the usual bios and driver update checks, they tell me that the dock only supplies 210W and the laptop requires 240W and I may need to upgrade.

I said upgrade to what, this is the biggest dock available, and according to Dell's Commercial Dock Compatibility document, the WD19DC/DCS is indeed the recommended dock for this system.

They couldn't tell me a work around, other than telling me if it happens again to call them and they will probably send out another dock.

Anybody else managed to resolve this?

Thanks!

8. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had that seldom in the past. I disconnected the laptop and unplugged the power cable from the dock so it was off. Waited 5s and plugged the dock power. Waited 5s, plugged the laptop and the two lights came up and the laptop was charged again. Like 4 times a year. If it is so regular in your case I would go for a replacement dock.

In addition: I power down the Dock each evening when I leave the Office - maybe the issue depends on the Dock being powered on 24/7?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:23 AM
  9. lntosawe

lntosawe Newbie

Reputations:
    hi jctierney,

After a use longtime, could you tell me if the fan noise is good ? It don't disturbing the neigboors or the workers in the same room.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's an option in the BIOS along the lines of allowing a USB-C dock to power on the system which is enabled by default. One user recently reported that a lot of dock issues went away when he turned this option off. The downside is the power button on the dock does not work anymore to power on the system, you have to open the laptop lid to turn the system on.

...Something to try anyway.