The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I disconnected it from ethernet last night before it happened again this morning to test the network side. The only thing connected to USB is a transcend usb hub with nothing connected to it, a microsoft keyboard, and a wacom tablet to the three usb 3 ports. Nothing connected to usb-c/thunderbolt.

Yes the once-a-month glitch is so difficult to troubleshoot... if someone had infiltrated dell and aimed to drive me insane, this would be the way to do it. Although I think the probability of that is pretty slim, I can't help but wonder what in the world...

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe try resetting the bios and or also drain the residual power (page 136 of manual).

3. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've got two WD19DC docks that I use with my 7760 (one at home and one at work).

I've just read that they are only USB-C and not Thunderbolt.

Should I have got the WD19TB docks instead, and if so, what am I missing out on?

I use each dock to run three QHD monitors, and a few external drives.

Thanks!

4. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah the only way I could get it to work again was to unplug the dock from the laptop, and then the power cable to the dock, wait a bit then plug it all back in.

I don't power down the dock at night, just unplug the 2xUSB C plugs from the side of the laptop.

Thanks!

I just went into the BIOS and turned this off.

Shut down the laptop, unplugged the dock.

When I plugged the 2xUSB C plugs back into the side of the laptop, it used to boot the laptop straight away. This time both lights lit up but the laptop didn't boot. Pressing the power button on the dock booted the laptop.

If this is the workaround to ensure that the dock is ready and supplying full power (2 lights on) then I'm happy with that.

5. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I note that the 7760 is not listed in the last image, only goes up to the 7750. Yet the WD19DC/DCS dock is the recommended dock for the 7760.

The thunderbolt docks will require an additional power pack.

jack574 likes this.
  6. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great, thanks a lot.

I've always used the AC adapter plugged into the 7760 as well as the two USB-C cables from the WD19DC. What you've posted suggests the AC adapter isn't needed for full performance, but I'm sure I read elsewhere previously that it was...

7. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there any trick to disconnecting the 7760's battery cable from the motherboard?

[​IMG]
    (Followed strictly, the manual says when removing/installing an ssd to follow the steps for removing the base cover which have #5 disconnect the battery. However, the battery cable connector feels quite tight and I don't want to risk damaging it by pulling it if there is some trick involved.)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:25 PM
  8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just firmly pull it directly away from the laptop, straight away, using the fabric handle - I was a little worried too, but it's just a bit tight. I mistakenly tried to pull other parts of the cable, but fortunately I didn't do any real damage.

alaskajoel and summersun like this.
  9. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks. Got it. I just needed a little bit of reassurance. The "handle" feels like a plastic cable tie on mine with a fold in it where it's folded down, and I was afraid it would snap or I would somehow break the connector. With a little force it pulls straight up and out. And then it just kind of pushes back in, although it doesn't click or give much feedback that it's engaged correctly. I don't like this connector much at all, but it worked ok I guess. I'd much prefer the 7710 style battery.
    Thanks again for the reassurance.

10. lntosawe

lntosawe Newbie

Reputations:
    hello Riconmike, sorry to answer with a question, I want to buy the same laptop as you. And I would like to know if the noise from the fan is not too loud, if it does not disturb the neighboring workers. This will really help me decide.

Thank you