The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a silly question: in term of performances, would it make a difference to have 4x16GB or 2x32GB DRAM?

Also about SSDs, why are the Crucial way cheaper than the Samsung?

2. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 7760 seems to have MaxxAudio installed (also see the process running in task manager), but there is no actual app to open, and the pop-up dialog when something is plugged in the audio jack is for "Dell Optimizer"
    Weird

3. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Tests have been done with gaming:
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1971-more-ram-modules-better-for-gaming/
    Though that's 16GB RAM.
    Personally, I would go with 2x32GB (3200mhz) since I can upgrade to 128GB later
    However, you can only get up to 64GB of 3466mhz RAM, which is when you would want 4x16GB.

Razibus likes this.
  4. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine is finally in production. I got 16x2 memory, which I will install under the keyboard. I also got a 2tb pcie 4 ssd. my thinking is just to make a usb bootable image from dell.com and then take out other ssd (save for later, same as ram) and put my new ssd, boot with usb drive and do a clean install..

can anyone foresee any issues with my thought process? (I want to probably install ram first, make sure it boot to default ssd. then do the ssd swap).

thank you

zhongze12345 likes this.
  5. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got 2x32GB 3200 ECC Ram with my 7760.

Per CPU-Z the modules are SK Hynix HMAA4GS7CJR8N-XN and running at CL 22

6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I did the SSD first, just because it arrived a day before the RAM. If you use RAM that should work with the system, the BIOS should automatically detect the RAM with no trouble.

7. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, this is very informative! What about my second question? Why do you all seem to choose Samsung SSDs and not another brand (Crucial, etc.)?

zhongze12345 likes this.
  8. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all. A couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. If I don't care about battery life, is there any reason to enable hybrid graphics in the bios?

2. I don't care about battery life and fan noise - i just want maximum performance - so I was going to set the bios thermal management to Ultra Performance. It warns me that that might mean higher system surface temperature. Shouldn't the surface temperature be lower if the fans are running at a higher rate? Or is the point that the processor will run faster, and the fans even at full power might not be able to cool it as much?

Thanks a lot

9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    There is nothing wrong with a non-Samsung SSD, but you just can't go wrong with a Samsung SSD since they are reliable and fast, albeit usually at a small premium over other drives.

10. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Frees up 1-1.5GB GPU memory (for 4k screen)
    The difference isn't huge between the two. From my usage, it's mostly fan noise. Balanced makes the system (slightly) quieter and slower. I think the surface temperature is a bit higher in Ultra Performance.
    In "Ultra performance", I have yet to get the fans to stay at their max speed, which is annoying since the system throttles when the fans go to the slower speed. I haven't heard the fans going to max speed in Balanced mode. But you will only notice the difference in noise 15-20% of the time