The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would any 3 prong desktop power cord work with these power adapters (240W)?
    Edit: Don't know why I thought they wouldn't work

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think as long as the cord fits in the brick it will work fine. The ones I have from my 7710 and TB16 paperweights are a little different than the one in the picture of the dell link I posted. Here are photos. The plug that plugs into the brick is the same as some of my dell desktops.

upload_2021-8-1_20-24-47.png

upload_2021-8-1_20-27-17.png

zhongze12345 and summersun like this.
  3. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been following Tom's Hardware for many years, and their advice has always been sound.
    In "Best SSDs 2021: From Budget SATA to Blazing-Fast NVMe" Tom's Hardware ranked the Samsung 980 their #1 SSD and said: "The Samsung 980 Pro serves up to 7/5 GBps of throughput and sustains upwards of a 1 million random read/write IOPS, making it the most responsive SSD we’ve tested. The drive comes with all the features you could want from a high-end NVMe SSD, making it the perfect drive for anyone who wants the best."

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, any standard cable will work. It's basically a direct extension cord to the three prongs of the electrical outlet, nothing fancy about it. The cord is detachable because of the different outlet types used in different countries; Dell doesn't have to produce a separate power adapter for each, they just have to supply the appropriate cable. You could travel internationally with your laptop and just pick up the appropriate cable from a local electronics shop.

5. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very informative, thank you for sharing. I liked also the review from Anandtech.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Is there any consensus on which fast, XMP-enabled RAM to use? It's admittedly difficult to find XMP-enabled DDR4 SODIMMs. Hopefully something like 3.2 GHz at CL16/17 or so.

7. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot.

Regarding question 1. - I do a lot of 3D scan processing that maxes out the GPU. If I wanted to do something else with the PC whilst the GPU is busy processing scan data, would it not be useful to be able to use the intel graphics?

Thanks again

thock likes this.
  8. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Reinstalled Windows 10 seems more normal now even after it updated from 20h2 to 21h1. The windows Reset (delete everything) didn't help at all, but going to recovery and reinstall that way seems to have normalized the Data Use reading. It's not perfectly accurate but I think that is possibly normal with windows 10 data usage reporting under the settings app. It's reporting 8.89 GB used now which is much closer than the 1/10th usage it was reporting before.

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found this post from @Dell-Mano_G and think this might be what you are referencing.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...550-release-date.831922/page-14#post-11016023

I connected the adapter from the 7710 and TB16s (OFWCRC) and the system did not report any errors (system was on, I unplugged the adapter that came with the 7760 and then plugged in the other from 7710). My concern was damaging the 7760, but I guess the system decides what power it will take, no difference than using a 240W on a 7550 or 7560. I have 6 or 7 of these 240W supplies at different locations so if they work, saves me from carrying one or getting new ones. Three I got with TB16s that never worked. I am going to look at getting the WD19DCS to use at several of these locations but planned to use the second power supply to make sure i have no power issues.

I am not clear on how the new adapters differ for the E-Star or EPEAT Requirements. @Dell-Mano_G noted: "Yes we are using the same size power adapters on the 7550 & 7750 as previous generations but these are new power adapters to comply with new more stringent E-Star and EPEAT Gold requirements. By the way, all our 2020 mobile workstations will be E-Star & EPEAT Gold certified."

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I remember that discussion of the cross-compatibility of these adapters came up around when the 7X30 systems were released in 2018; they were the first systems to use the new smaller power adapters.

With that said, this generation will have all new power adapters that are smaller and lighter. You can still use your old power adapters but the new ones are all new.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-lake-pre-release.809278/page-8#post-10720269

EPEAT just has to do with the "environmental friendliness" of the adapters, in terms of their production (materials selection, supply chain greenhouse gas emission) and also how easily they can be recycled. I'm sure they took this into account when designing the new PSUs. Though I do appreciate Dell keeping cross-compatibility with the old and new adapters. Saves me from having to buy replacements and toss the old ones, so that seems "environmentally friendly" by itself. Also handy for new users because you can source the old-style PA-9E 240W bricks for cheaper than the newer ones, if you'd like to pick up some spare units. (This might not last forever, since 240W-over-USBC will be possible soon; I wouldn't be surprised if they just switch to USBC for power at some point.) Like you, and I think we've discussed this before, I have a number of (old brick-style) 240W adapters just sitting around at various locations where I use my laptop.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    alaskajoel likes this.