The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. When I edit the plan, I can only see these settings. I thought in the past I'd been able to set max processor percentage etc?

upload_2021-8-1_22-8-22.png

Thanks again

2. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot.

If I enable Hybrid graphics then, what are the advantages/disadvantages to using Direct Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode? 90% of the time I use my system with the lid shut, and a dock with 3 external monitors plugged into it.

Sounds like Ultra Performance is the way to go.

3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right now I have Hybrid Graphics on, and two external monitors connected to the mDP and HDMI on the back of the 7760 and the external monitors use the Nvidia card. I have the lid closed. If I open the lid, the internal display uses the intel graphics, but I have kept the lid closed mostly.

If you enable the Direct Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode in the bios, that makes the external monitors hooked to the USB-C (or docks) to use the Nvidia card (@Aaron44126 noted previously). So I think you can keep Hybrid Graphics on and enable Direct Output Mode and have what you want (use Nvidia card on external screens) but at the same time having the hybrid option for the few times you use it without the dock or external monitors (my case). My 7710 I turned off Hybrid, but for the 7760 I plan on leaving it on. When I get the dock (WD19DCS) I will enable the Direct Output.

I tried disabling the Hybrid Graphics and then re-enabling and I had to uninstall the Nvidia Drive, reinstall the intel, and then install the Nvidia to get the system to use the Intel card again. So not a quick change if you change your mind at some point.

Here is a Photo of the Bios Setting for the discussion.

upload_2021-8-1_17-20-14.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    ccvortex likes this.
  4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    thock likes this.
  5. jack574

Reputations:
  6. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for this. I'd already disabled hybrid mode before I saw your post.

Maybe I'll just leave it off...!

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. No. I recommend that you disable it if you are not generally needing to run the system on battery power. It adds complexity that is not needed if you're not getting a battery life benefit.

2. Laptop thermal management is a balance between performance, surface temperature, and fan noise. "Optimized" is Dell's attempt at a balance. If you would like the system to prioritize one of these three points (at the expense of the other two), then you can select the corresponding thermal mode option. Setting it to "ultra performance" causes the system to increase the CPU power level, so it will get warmer.

There's a nice video series that discusses this. It's an interview with a top Dell thermal engineer.
    one two three four five six

You have to disable "modern standby" to get these extra options back. This means that the system won't be able to enter sleep mode.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/
    (Dunno why Microsoft implemented it like this... annoying.)

Maybe you can disable modern standby, set the options as you like, and then enable it again. I haven't tested to see if the options still apply after the GUI option to configure them is made unavailable. I'll be looking at that this week.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    thock likes this.
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Wondering if someone who has the system working with the BIOS set to "RAID" mode can help me out. I'm trying to work out a process to get the driver "preinstalled" for a system that was set up in AHCI mode or brought over from a previous system.

* Go to Device Manager
    * Find the Intel RAID controller under "Storage controllers", double-click on it
    * Go to the "Driver" tab and click on "Driver details", and take note of the driver filename (ends with .sys).
    * Go to the "Details" tab, select "Hardware Ids" from the drop-down, and take note of the longest one displayed.
    * Open regedit and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI
    * You'll see a number of subkeys here: find the one that matches the hardware ID from Device Manager.
    * Right-click on this subkey and select "export"; this will drop a file to the system.
    * There should be one subkey under that (formatted along the lines of "3&11583659&0&B8"); select that.
    * Take note of the "ClassGUID" value on the right.
    * Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class, and then find the subkey that matches the GUID from the previous step.
    * Right-click on this GUID subkey and select "export"; this will drop a file to the system.

If you could reply with the four outputs (driver filename, hardware ID, and two .reg files zipped up)... I'll see what I can do from there.
    Thanks.

[Edit]
    Nevermind, just doing a clean install to collect the needed information...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  9. rinconmike

Reputations:
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G previously confirmed that the 240W AC adapters are cross-compatible. You can use the old adapter with a new system or a new adapter with an old system, no problem.
    Also you can use a 240W adapter with a 7560 (or other 75X0) system. My 7530 and 7560 have been working with an (old brick-style) 240W adapter, no problem. There's no benefit, though, the system will not draw more power than it would with a 180W adapter attached.