The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Also from that conversation, from Mano_G:

Such a regression for the 75X0/76X0.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Storage progress.

I was able to get the system booting with RAID. This involves a few steps if the system has never seen the Intel RAID controller active before:

* Download & extract the Intel Rapid Storage driver from Dell, version 18.4.0.1000.
    * Go to Device Manager. Select "Action → Add legacy hardware". Point it to the Intel Rapid Storage driver in the extracted package, under production\Windows10-x64\15063\F6\VMD\f6vmdflpy-x64. The device name should show up as "Intel RST VMD Controller 9A0B". This does not get the system fully ready to work in RAID mode, but it does install all of the driver files that are needed. (The RST device will be showing in Device Manager with an error; that's OK.)
    * Go to the registry and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    * The subkeys here (0000, 0001, 0002, ...) contain information about all of the storage controller drivers that have been loaded. Find the one that corresponds to the Intel RST driver that was just loaded, probably the last one on the list.
    * Take note if its key name ("0005" for me) and the value that shows up under "InfPath" ("oem10.inf" for me).
    * Download the attached file, unzip it, and open the .reg file in a text editor.
    * Change the end of the path on line 3 to match the path at which you found the driver information in the registry just now (for me: "0000" → "0005"). Also update the "Driver" value on line 49.
    * Do a find-and-replace; find "oem0.inf" and replace with what showed up under InfPath ("oem10.inf" for me).
    * Save the file and then load it into the registry.

Now you're set up to do the same process as usual to switch disk controller modes. (Hold shift and reboot, select advanced boot options, change to RAID mode in the BIOS, boot to safe mode, reboot to normal mode.) After it's up and running, go back to Device Manager and remove the RST device showing an error that was added up above.

(Note: The source for this registry file is just a fresh Windows install that I did on the Precision 7560. It is specific to the Precision 7X60 and it won't help with doing the same process on other models that don't have the exact same Intel RST controller.)

Whew. Thanks @rinconmike, the screen shots that you sent did end up helping. I had a RST driver version 18.2.0 downloaded that I was messing with at first and it turned out that this was not the right one for this system.

Now that I have the system working in RAID mode, we'll see if the PCIe4 drive is stable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    SvenC and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Well, that didn't take long. I had the Q4 drive disappear again while the system was in RAID mode.

So...
    * I switched the drive positions around so that there is not a PCIe4 drive in the PCIe4 slot. Suspecting that this issue only affects PCIe4 drives; we'll see.
    * I switched back to AHCI/NVMe mode (...why not...).

If it's stable in this configuration... I might try putting the PCIe4 drive back in the PCIe4 slot in a few months, after there have been some BIOS updates.

I can confirm that I was able to format a drive as ReFS while in RAID mode. The option didn't show up in Disk Management, but it didn't complain when I did it from the command line (i.e.: format D: /fs:refs /q).

Also: The rear USB-C port doesn't quite line up with the chassis. I can still plug a cable in there but it brushes along the top part of the chassis hole for that port. I'm not sure if this was caused by my repeated taking off and replacing the system bottom cover (it seems to press on the ports a little when snapping it back on). My coworker's system does not have this problem.

4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A little off topic but may be related (but probably is not) to switching between RAID and AHCI.

I had issues with windows search. Noticed it when Explorer search was not working. I checked indexing under control panel and it said "waiting to receive indexing status". I rebooted the machine and it seemed to work

I decided to run a sfc /scannow and it found and fixed some corrupt files.

Could this have anything to do with changing from RAID to AHCI and then back to RAID?

I checked the CBS.log file. Not sure exactly where to check, but I see warnings like below (this is just a few):

Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
    Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
    Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice

5. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Did you have a chance to open a support case with Dell? Curious if this is isolated to your machine and or SSD or if it is more. Also, does this happen in both yours and your coworkers using the same SSD? I forget if you tired in both machines.

I am still not sure if AHCI is better than RAID-ON. I have not found (little bit of reading and searching online) any reason to go with one over the other than the use of Samsung Magician software for the retail drives, if that is still an issue.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have not opened a support case with Dell. I'll do it if I can find the time but I've got a pretty full slate work-wise for a while. I imagine that the first thing that they're going to want to do is come out and replace the motherboard, and I'm hoping not to disturb the factory thermal paste job... I'd kind of like to wait and see if anyone other than me is experiencing this, which would indicate that it's a systemic problem and not something that swapping out the motherboard is likely to fix.

I do have the problem with two different systems and two different PCIe4 drives. One is mine with Sabrent Rocket Q4, and the other is a coworker's with Samsung 980 Pro. Both have had similar behavior with the PCIe4 drive failing to show up at boot or disappearing a while after boot.

Now, neither of these is a "sanctioned" Dell drive (one that they are shipping with the system). But still, I've never had to worry about a specific NVMe drive working or not working in these systems before.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Another one.
    In Windows Power Options, select "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left.
    ...In the drop down for "When I press the power button" does anyone else have the option for "Turn off the display"?

It's missing for me on the Precision 7560 and I'm wondering if it is another thing that goes missing when "modern standby" is enabled. Wanted confirmation from another user on whether the option is or not before digging in.

8. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this what you mean?
    upload_2021-8-2_16-31-8.png

9. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I do not have "Turn off the display." I will check my 7710 later.

I also notice that "Turn on fast startup" is on. I thought I had that off.

upload_2021-8-2_11-34-29.png

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021