The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I will do. Will get them to replace my broken keyboard lattice at the same time. Doesn't affect anything but it annoys me so may as well!

zhongze12345 likes this.
  2. jack574

Reputations:
    Predictably my photo of two stuck pixels does not indicate to Dell that there are two stuck pixels. They expect me to run full diagnostics to "verify" the stuck pixels. Surely the system will not know it has stuck pixels, so this is completely pointless?

zhongze12345 likes this.
  3. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They nailed the fans, and for me, they seem much more effective than my M4800 while being quieter (and no clicks when the fan ramps up or changes speed)
    Looks like I'm never going back to an ultrabook or a consumer machine/gaming laptop :)
    I wish that the fans would ramp up a bit sooner, allowing the CPU and GPU to turbo higher.

I will also add that with over-ear headphones (without ANC), the sound of the fans at max speed is almost completely canceled out. With ANC on my 100XM4's, the fan noise is completely inaudible

alaskajoel likes this.
  4. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As somebody who is quite price sensitive, I'm 100% confident that the 7760 is the better decision compared to a similar spec gaming laptop.
    Ignoring the "Quadro" GPU's in the Precisions, everything seems like it's built to last and be upgraded. Case in point: 4 RAM slots and 4 SSD slots.
    Though the warranty adds a significant cost to the computer, it should be enough to keep the next 5 years relatively trouble free. I definitely can't say that about a gaming or even a premium consumer laptop (my XPS has had lots of issues). The aesthetic of a mobile workstation is also very important since a gaming laptop looks quite unprofessional.
    Also, the 7x60 forum seems pretty active which is a big help.

thock likes this.
  5. jack574

Reputations:
    The 7760 cooling system is in a totally different league to the 7740. My 7740 overheated all the time. The 7760 runs much cooler all the time. You can feel a proper blast of hot air coming out of the back of it. The hot air coming out of the sides of the 7740 was never anything like it.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Observations from a coworker using the 7560 for a few days:

* He experienced random disconnects with some Bluetooth earbuds with the stock Bluetooth driver from Dell (22.40). Seems OK so far with the newer driver directly from Intel (22.60).
    * Twice now he has had the BIOS fire up the "SupportAssist" feature for an automatic memory scan, after he put the machine in hibernate mode, relocated it, and then powered it on again. Language on the screen indicates that there was a memory error, so it should be scanned. (The system has ECC memory.) The system boots up fine after the memory scan is canceled. We are going to disable the automatic SupportAssist feature in the BIOS setup.
    * WD19DC dock seems to work fine so far. No separate power cable attached, dock cable only.

[Edit]
    On the subject of key remapping I will throw this out for you. Pressing Fn+Windows triggers the right windows key and not the left one, and the two Windows keys can be remapped separately. So you can change Fn+Windows to trigger whatever key you want if you remap the right Windows key.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    zhongze12345 likes this.
  7. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I purchased a 7560 with the A2000. I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I haven't noticed any issues related to the A2000, heat or otherwise, under either Ubuntu or Windows.

Initially the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS kernel didn't contain support for the 7560's Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 chip that provides Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Yesterday an update arrived that contained a kernel that supports the chip, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth now work as expected.

8. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I switched my 7560 to AHCI mode, and Samsung Magician works as expected with my 980 Pro. The stock 256GB drive arrived in Slot 4, the one under the door. I removed the 256GB and installed the 2TB 980 Pro in that slot. I just installed Magician about an hour ago, and immediately noticed that a firmware update is available, which I intend to apply later today.

Edit: My BIOS is version 1.2.2. The 980 Pro was delivered with firmware 2B2QGXA7, and updated today to 3B2QGXA7.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  9. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    are you saying this is IF they have a boo pcie 3.0 drive and they ADD pcie 4 drive? OR. keep pcie 4.0 drive as the ONLY drive in the system?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I did experienced this issue in both cases: when the PCIe4 drive was the only drive installed, and when other drives were installed along with it.