The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it may not list the 980 since the windows AHCI driver is fine, My recollection is that several years ago (my 7710), these drives performed better with the Samsung SSD. Now may not be the case with the current windows drivers. I have the Dell OEM of the 980 Pro (Samsung 2TB PM91A) and tested the speeds in both AHCI mode and RAID-On and they were comparable. Right now I am back to RAID-On. I am still wondering the advantaged to change the 7760 from RAID-On to AHCI today. I think the only reason is to use Samsung Magician Software to update the drive firmware.

upload_2021-8-7_14-54-35.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    summersun likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My reason for switching is basically to not have to use the Intel RST driver. I view it as "unnecessary complexity" and would prefer to just use the stock Microsoft NVMe driver (which will be updated over time along with Windows), so that the system will be more like a "typical" PC. The main benefit to using the Intel RST driver is actual RAID array support... but there's no point to that if you're not using any RAID arrays. (I think that the main reason that it is enabled by default is so that you will still be able to boot if your OS drive is on a RAID array and the BIOS settings are reset to default for whatever reason.) Now, that said I don't have a particular issue with the Intel RST driver, but anything that could be an extra source of DPC latency is something that I'd like to do without if it's possible.

summersun likes this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    This appears to be the driver in question, and there's already an AUR package, nice.

The driver appears to support these ven:dev IDs (cut-pasted):

27C6:533C, 27C6:538C, 27C6:530C, 27C6:5840

Are any of these the device IDs for the fingerprint reader on the 7560?

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Looks like it is :5843. Might have to wait for an update or see if it can be kludged into working anyway. (Maybe :5840 is from Precision 7X50?)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  5. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Anyone use SupportAssist. I opened it and get a popup that’s asks the below:

Dell SupportAssist

Windows OS repair and restore features are available for download

If your PC has trouble starting, OS Recovery can help you diagnose hardware issues, repair your computer, back up important Windows OS files, or reset your device to its factory state. If you want this solution to run automatically when needed, select Let’s Go.

Is this tied to the Bios option under Update, Recovery that says:

SupportAssist OS Recovery

The SupportAssist OS Recoverdy option will enable or disable the boot flow for SupportAssist OS Recovery tool in the event of certain system errors. If the SupportAssist OS Recovery setup option is set to disabled then all automatic boot flow for SupportAssist OS Recovery tool will be disabled.

Does this need to be downloaded per that pop up in the app to be available?

I also turned off the automatic scan feature for now since I am not sure of all the fixes it does.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The fingerprint reader on my 7560 appears to be a Broadcom "BCM 58200", with vendor & device id 0a5c:5843:
    • usb 3-5: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
    • usb 3-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0a5c, idProduct=5843, bcdDevice= 1.01
    • usb 3-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    • usb 3-5: Product: 58200
    • usb 3-5: Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Deleted
    upload_2021-8-7_15-36-26.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
  9. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure if it's just me, but after enabling hybrid graphics in the BIOS and loading the Intel video drivers, I noticed a run-away process in the task manager called Desktop Window Manager that had ballooned to 700 MB of memory from its normal sub 100 MB. It was also using a few percent of CPU constantly.
    Tracked it down to the Intel drivers and had to disable hybrib graphics altogether to get the process to stop hoarding memory and CPU. Apparently there is a known memory leak in the Intel drivers. Anyway, just an FYI if you start seeing the same thing in your task manager.

10. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No special drivers here and have had no issues with it. I am using it as my boot drive in the Gen 4 slot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021