The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it is a Windows Hello thing with Hello Face and Hello fingerprint turned on, on the 7760.

Windows Settings, Under Sign-in options, there is an option called:

Require sign-in
    "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?"

It is set to Every Time and grayed out so I cannot change. In red is says "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown."

My 7710 i do not have windows face or fingerprint setup.

I just checked my Surface Pro 7 that does have Face setup and same thing as the 7760.

Note the options on the 7710 are Never or When PC wakes up from sleep. No Always or anything if just the display turns off.

2. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Looks like Dell released a new Nvidia Driver for the 7760.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-17-7760-laptop

Fixes & Enhancements
    - Supports Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2).
    Version
    Version 27.21.14.6302, A03 (463.02)

I previously updated to one I downloaded from the NVidia site which was 471.41 and now Nvidia has 471.68. I upgraded since I had to uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia drive after disabling and re-enabling Hybrid Graphics.

However, I just tried updating my 7710 to 471.68 and got a black screen. Same after reboot. I had to get into safe mode by turning the machine on and off 3 or 4 times to get to the Blue Windows Recovery screen. Wish they had it where you can get to it from an F12 or something like that. I did not try the 471.41 and just put the Dell download of 452.41 (I previously had a 442.92)

With than, learned my lesson on updating to the latest and greatest from NVidia on the laptop..

I might go ahead and downgrade by 7760 from the 471.41 to this new dell 463.02. The original 7760 OEM setup install had 462.53.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not quite sure yet.
    I haven't had any trouble with mine (on original Dell driver, hybrid graphics off). However, a coworker had three BSODs and analysis pointed to nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA driver) as the culprit. He was also using the Dell driver. Two of the BSODs occurred when the system was entering hibernate mode. Upgraded to the latest R470 version from NVIDIA (471.68, released just this past week) and no issues ....... yet.

The new driver from Dell likely has fixes other than what they have listed. NVIDIA supports multiple branches at once so some fixes from the newer R470 versions will be backported to R460. 463.02 is newer than any of the R460 drivers on NVIDIA's site.

Not planning to switch my system to drivers from NVIDIA unless there is trouble, but I will update to the newer one that Dell posted.

Remember that NVIDIA's advanced driver search shows more options than just the "latest" version which is what you get on the normal NVIDIA driver page.
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Anyone else's 7x60 come with the Dell SupportAssist installed and did you remove it with any negative issues? I got the Pro Support Plus so not sure if it comes just with that or all systems. I posted in the general dell forum but would like to know specific to the 7x60. There are three apps that go with it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-supportassist.836618/

5. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell says, "SupportAssist is preinstalled on most Dell devices running Windows operating system and can be found in the Start menu under All Programs in the Dell or Alienware folder." I interpret that as meaning that pretty much all Dell systems shipped with Windows come with SupportAssist installed. Some SupportAssist features aren't enabled unless the system is covered under a support contract.

I've not removed SupportAssist from my 7560, and probably won't. On my previous Precision laptops SupportAssist caused no problems that I noticed while providing reasonable benefits.

6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Thanks. Have you run it yet and if so:
    1. Do you get the message for "Windows OS repair and restore features are available for download".
    2. In the SupportAssist app, under settings, do you have System Repair enabled? If so, under control panel SupportAssist OS Recovery, do you see any Restore Points made? Mine has not made any and with this on, Windows System Restore is off.

7. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    I've manually run Windows Update and SupportAssist several times since initially setting up the machine.
    1. I don't remember seeing that message, but when setting up my 7560 (I swapped the original 256MB drive for a 2TB device, and installed Ubuntu as a second boot option.) During that setup process I undoubtedly manually ran Windows update as well as "Dell Command | Update" several times. Either or both of those manual checks could have resolved whatever SupportAssist would have discovered that would trigger that message.
    2. "System Repair" is checked. I see no Restore Points. My Windows System Restore was off, but is now turned on for the C: drive.
    Looking at SupportAssist's "System activity history" I do see one "Intel Management Engine Components Installer" update applied on August 3rd.

Looking at my Windows Update history I see numerous updates in several categories.

8. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Do you have these apps and versions installed?
    • Dell SupportAssist 3.10.1.23
    • Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update 5.4.1.14954
    • Dell SupportAssist Remediation 5.4.3.15135
    In Windows Control Panel do you have
    • SupportAssist Remediation (I do not have this but read it should be there)
    • SupportAssist OS Recovery

9. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    I show these apps:
    • Dell SupportAssist 3.10.4.0 (a newer version)
    • Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update 5.4.1.14954 (the same version)
    • Dell SupportAssist Remediation 5.4.1.14956 (an older version)
    In Control Panel:
    • SupportAssist OS Recovery is present
    • SupportAssist Remediation is absent, but see Services below
    In Services I see these Dell services that seem related to SupportAssist (service name: display name):
    • DellClientManagementService: Dell Client Management Service
    • DDVDataCollector: Dell Data Vault Collector
    • DDVRulesProcessor: Dell Data Vault Processor (this seems to be the component that sends alerts)
    • DDVCollectorSvcApi: Dell Data Vault Service API
    • Dell Hardware Support: Dell Hardware Support
    • DellOptimizer: Dell Optimizer
    • SupportAssistAgent: Dell SupportAssist
    • Dell SupportAssist Remediation: Dell SupportAssist Remediation
    I suspect SupportAssist Remediation shouldn't appear in the Control Panel.

10. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I found the issue. I was having the same problem with the GPU power being misreported in HWinfo, where it would say the GPU is disabled but it was still drawing power, using 45-55W at idle, causing my battery life to be less than 2 hours. I tried literally every driver for my A4000, and it is somewhat fixed in 471.68. I am not using a dell driver, this is straight from nvidia. However, while my total power consumption goes down to 10-20W and I get 6h battery life now, it will still sometimes misreport the GPU power like it did before the driver update as an effect of the GPU using power when it's disabled (greyed out in HWinfo), for example, about 15 seconds after startup before going back to drawing 20W. I've been trying to find this solution ever since I got this laptop. I want to contact Dell over this, but I don't want to get caught up in customer support for 2 days straight or more.

I'm 99% sure it's a driver issue. Before I uninstalled msi afterburner, I checked it while the bug was happening when the GPU would grey out in HWinfo, and it seemed like it was stuck at 1500mhz while not being used. I really wish Dell had an option in the BIOS to disable the dGPU when you don't need it to further increase battery life. I have also uninstalled Riva statistics. I've even tried a new install of Windows on my second drive - didn't fix it.

Here are my specs:
    Dell Precision 7560
    i7 11800H
    A4000
    32GB 3200mhz RAM (installed myself in Slot A and C under keyboard, I bought my 7560 with 8gb)
    256gb stock NVME + 1tb sabrent rocket PCIE 4.0
    Hybrid graphics ON
    4k 60hz panel