The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you.

Thats good to know.

Has anyone else done tried the Nvidia update, in particular with the WD19DC Dock?

Thanks

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am on the Nvidia 471.41. I had to uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia driver a couple weeks ago after I disabled and re-enabled hybrid graphics to get the intel graphics to work when an app did not need the Nvidia. I decided to use the Nvidia driver. I am using mainly with external displays hooked to the HDMI and mDP on the laptop with lid closed. I do not have a dock yet. These ports are driven by the Nvidia card. It has been a couple weeks since I used with the lid open and no external displays. No issues.

3. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks again.

Did the "cuda" option reappear in the dropdown list for the GPU usage in Task Manager after you updated the Nvidia driver?

upload_2021-8-18_15-17-20.png

4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Cuda is still showing and was there previously. I forget when I checked before. It was in response to a previous post.

5. jack574

Reputations:
    It remains a mystery then..... Thanks!

6. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just want to know - how much battery life do y'alls 7560s get? Right now, I've read of a couple people having the same issue as I am where you will get 2 hours of battery life with hybrid graphics ON and 3 hours when hybrid graphics is OFF. I'm wondering if that issue is isolated to only certain machines or a widespread driver issue.

I'm working on installing linux (more specifically, Pop OS) for its switchable graphics feature to see if battery life/idle power consumption improves at all. I've tried literally every setting in Windows and in the BIOS.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  7. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm more than a little curious myself how you fare. It seems that Windows drivers are at a worse-case scenario with this box. I'm more than halfway tempted to dive into Unix land just to see how the optimus drivers perform on this machine.

8. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried Linux (Pop OS), and... it did a lot of the same thing.

- dGPU only: When I was setting it up, I had to turn hybrid graphics off, which would give me about 2 hours of battery life (drawing 45-50W idle), very similar to how Windows handles it.
    - Hybrid Graphics (dGPU + iGPU): I turned hybrid graphics on after I installed to my main drive and it worked well, however I still only got around 5-6 hours of battery life (drawing 20W idle) just like in Windows using driver 471.68.
    - "iGPU only": This was interesting. With this, I got exactly the same results with when the hybrid graphics option was selected (20W idle). This leads me to believe there is some sort of idle power usage caused by the dGPU that I cannot see, since technically the device is "disabled" and therefore will not show any of its stats in any monitoring software. This might be Dell's fault because it seems like a deeper issue than drivers are concerned, and I'm hoping they realize this issue and fix it with a future BIOS/driver update.

Another thing to note: I've had random instances during troubleshooting where my total power usage will go below 10w, so I know this machine shouldn't be drawing 20w at idle. And the laptop works very well in Pop OS, I had to do no configuring whatsoever besides turning off hybrid graphics when installing it.

zhongze12345 and alittleteapot like this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oh, god, the 7560 has this problem too. Can't Dell implement Optimus properly?

I'll be getting my notebook in a few hours, and I'd like to experiment on this myself, too.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  10. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I really wonder if anybody has a unit that doesn't exhibit this weird power draw w/ iGPU on, but most people seem to be using it with dGPU always on. I don't see how Dell missed this. Maybe it's caused by a program that was installed but considering how many people have this problem, the chance for that is quite small.