The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly my experience. Troubleshooting was so frustrating, and I also wish there was an option to disable the dGPU.
    I will update the driver and see if that solves the issue.

etern4l likes this.
  2. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I updated drivers to no avail. The battery life with iGPU is 2 hours, and the battery life with dGPU is 3 hours.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Using MacOS I was able to operate the Precision 7740 in this mode effectively. It loaded a custom SSDT at boot which called the Optimus ACPI DSM method then put the card into D3 Cold PCIe state. It was crazy because in my hackintosh build I could get close to 9 hours of light usage battery life, but under Windows I had to do crazy things like leave Adobe Lightroom running in the background to get the same state. I would even say the Nvidia driver under Linux can more consistently keep the card properly idling, even with its experimental power management support.

This is part of why the config without any Nvidia GPU was interesting to me, using an eGPU at my desk as needed. It is very hard for the Nvidia GPU to burn the battery away if it is physically disconnected from the system.

You are lucky you were able to get your machine early. At this point it seems like Dell has some part shortages and a backlog of orders. The A3000+ seems to be in very high demand and unavailable through Dell/HP/Lenovo in the short term. That is part of the reason I am trying the Thinkpad T15g with the 110W 3070.

4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered a 7760 on 7/2 with Xeon, A5000, and UHD and got around 7/22.

I ordered a 7560 on 7/6 with same exact specs with ESD of 8/12 and not it is 10/25. Customer service says it is waiting in the UHD screen.

5. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I'm very grateful that I got mine early, because even though I don't need to power until 1-2 months, everything about it (screen, keyboard, trackpad, ports) is a huge step up from my XPS. And the i9 is actually noticeably faster at startup than my i7 in my XPS.

6. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm having this issue too, can;t see where to disable that login screen. The options you are referring to do not appear in my settings, weird.

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Do you have Windows Hello for Face or Fingerprint turned on? I think that is why it is like this. Try removing these options (just use pin). I have not tried removing mine on my 7760 but I do not have this issue on the 7710 where I did not set face (cannot) or fingerprint.

My screens are set to turn off after 10 minutes and most the time my lid is closed so face and fingerprint cannot be used. I just enter my pin.

EDIT:

This might be an option

I think this covers it.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/11129-turn-off-require-sign-wakeup-windows-10-a.html

Some other posts.

https://www.tenforums.com/user-acco...-hello-preventing-options-requiring-sign.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ign-after-display-turns-off-windows-10-a.html

EDIT 2: Dell Proximity Sensor may also impact this. I have mine turned off since I have been keeping my kid closed. However, I think it automatically turns off if lid is closed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  8. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone had any issues on their 7760 after doing these updates?

I had so many issues on my 7740 due to Nvidia driver updates that I'm wary now...

But I guess it's not a good policy to never do any updates...?

upload_2021-8-17_23-13-18.png

9. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I think I previously did all except the Nvidia (was not available when I did the others).

And no issues.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    jack574 likes this.
  10. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    All,
    If you have a 7560 or 7760 which is having issues with the primary SSD disappearing/being dropped, please contact Dell tech support so that we can look into this. There are too many folks on the page having the same issue.
    If you feel comfortable, please private message me your service tag number so I can give that to our advanced support folks. We will probably offer you a whole system replacement.

Thank you.
    Mano

thock, zhongze12345, etern4l and 6 others like this.