The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7730,5530,7530 (Coffee Lake) pre-release

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by sench, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzman

jazzman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No xeons in the 5530!?!!?!?!?!?

@Aaron44126 the new xeons are xeon e-2176m and e-2186m. Surely this is just a mistake omission, why would they include xeons all these years and then suddenly omit?

2. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are your thoughts on the 15" 7530 gaining Quadro 3000 series card? Seems a norm going all the way back to 2nd Gen i7 days when it's capped at Quadro 2000 on 15.6".

Not sure if it's a ploy to upsell the units (e.g. so both 7730 and 7530 look powerful) - as until now people with Quad i7s haven't really had any big performance related reasons to upgrade.

The Quadro P3200 is just a 1060 isn't it though? :) So not too far fetched.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    P3000 is about 25% faster than P2000. I haven't seen final specs on the P3200 yet but it is probably a little bit faster than that still. For people sticking with the 15" form factor, not a terrible upgrade for graphics, but not game-changing I think...

Indeed, P3000 was in line with the GeForce 1060.

Also good that 5530 is getting the P2000, the Precision 5000-series was previously capped at Quadro 1000-level graphics.

4. nepO

nepO Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    2 USB ports for 7530, seriously? The biggest letdown will be having no E-Port. I have switched from HP to Dell just because of an option of having a real docking station attached. I am not sure I am interested in Precision line any more :(

5. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    7530 will have 2 TB3 ports, you can connect any devices
    I think E-Port is no longer actual

6. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's interesting that Dell has opted to upscale the GPU on 5530 and 7530. I guess they've made the bet people will finally upgrade and are prepared to make it a bit more enticing.

I guess by contrast the HP ZBook refreshed option looks a bit boring unless you get the 17" (they do have DreamColor though - but they're using the DreamColor branding so loosely I'm not sure if it still holds - imo the ZBook 15/17 1st Gen FHD DC2 panel was still the best for non-high res workflow). I imagine that Lenovo and HP might copy this either mid-generation, or next gen.

7. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    E-Port? You mean the ethernet port, right? It's still listed on the spec sheet for the 7530. I think it's on the backside of the laptop.

8. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, they are talking about the port that's used to dock the laptop.

9. nepO

nepO Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It looks like Dell is trying to copy a very bad practice of Apple where it forces users using extenders/hubs. I don't like them and if I have a choice I try to avoid them. At the end of the day, it is not not an ultra-book where there is little physical space, so I see no rational reason to offer less USB port on the upgraded model.

Believe it or not, I use RS-232 and eSATA quite often. I have even used LPT once and was very happy I didn't need to buy an USB to LPT adapter.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The e-Port is the dock port, on the bottom side of the laptop. Every Precision (excluding 5000-series) has had the port going back to what, the Precision M6400 from 2008? So for it to disappear after ten years of consistency is a disappointment to some.

RS-232, I carry a USB dongle thing for that, I'd only ever use it while mobile with the laptop (drag to the closet to connect to an old switch or something). I'm disappointed that the eSATA port is gone, that's been really handy to have a few times, but I can get away with a USB-3 SATA dongle.

That said, it's not just Dell, these less common ports are disappearing from laptops across the board. Everyone is moving to Thunderbolt-attached docks (though HP and Lenovo have more of a click-in dock like solution that also provides power to the system, rather than Dell's standalone box).

Agreed and confused about only two full-size USB ports. There is certainly room for more and that's something that people actually need to use. If you have a wireless mouse dongle then that's one port permanently used up. If I end up getting one of these (7530 probably will be my next work laptop) I guess I will need to also start packing some USB-C-to-regular-USB adapter/dongles...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.