The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7730,5530,7530 (Coffee Lake) pre-release

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by sench, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Dell, HP, and Lenovo workstation refreshes follow along with Intel's CPU refresh cycle. If the next generation of graphics cards isn't ready, it'll have to wait for the next cycle, they never do a mid-generation GPU refresh.

2. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope my 7710 to last for 4 more yrs at least, but is exciting to see 6 core intel CPUs in laptops.

3. jazzman

jazzman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    XPS 9570 doesn't seem to have new keyboard or pgup/dn at all which is sad. I don't understand why they leave it so featureless when they have so much room on the sides. Home/end key, pageup/down would SURE be nice. Or at least make it so on the precision (business) laptop? Sad that the flippy 2-in-1 lower powered xps consumer laptop has more keys than their business stuff.

You can see the 9570 KB pretty clearly in this vid at 2:05-2:15 or so.

4. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And again G5 without the DisplayPort 1.4 ...o_O In HP do not want to hear professionals...
    I very hope that in Dell Precision 7530 will be Quadro P2000

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    News article with details and pictures of the new Precision line-up.
    https://www.neowin.net/news/dells-n...-include-a-core-i9-and-nvidia-quadro-graphics
    New chassis for this generation (for the 7000-series).

Currently digesting / looking for more information...

[Edit]
    Pages at Dell.
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-commercial-products

ZDNet
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/dell-launches-precision-2-in-1-among-business-pc-refresh/

Takeaways, if reports are accurate:
    i9 CPU is available in the 7000-series and is unlocked for overclocking (Xeon is not mentioned...)
    i9 CPU is also available in the 5530
    7530 gets up to Quadro P3200 (previously the 3000-series Quadro was locked to 17" systems), 5530 gets up to P2000
    May 22 purchase date all systems, except a new 5530 "2-in-1" variant, which will be July/August

Can't find a good picture of the keyboard to see if they fixed the Home/End key debacle...

[Edit 2]
    A video...

And a page with more pictures...
    https://liliputing.com/2018/04/dell...s-pack-a-lot-of-power-into-a-small-space.html
    Keyboard looks similar to the previous generation but the layout is changed, Home/End keys are present, yippee!
    [​IMG]

Two thunderbolt ports on the 7000-series.

There's also a spec sheet in the images.
    7730 has 3x M.2 SSD slots + one 2.5" drive slot (which can be a fourth M.2 slot with interposer)
    7530 is the same with one fewer M.2 slot.
    So, one M.2 slot more than the prior generation.
    Xeon is not present. (Guess Intel is done with mobile Xeon for now, I haven't seen it listed anywhere else either.)

Port layout on the 7000-series:
    Compared to the prior generation, display output has been moved to the back (mini-DP and HDMI), it looks like there are two full-size USB ports on the right side and two USB-C/Thunderbolt on the left side... Headphone jack is still on the right side, grumble... (Occurs to me that a left-side headphone jack could be achieved by just using a USB-C audio adapter and plugging it in over there, less of an issue now that there are two USB-C ports...)

I haven't seen a shot of the bottom but I imagine with the new chassis, the eport dock is gone (it is not mentioned in the spec sheet). Thunderbolt only from now on...
    It doesn't look like it supports Windows Hello facial recognition (just an ordinary webcam) but it does still have the fingerprint reader.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    z31fanatic, Bokeh, alexhawker and 3 others like this.
  6. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't clearly see the keyboard, but seems like the same as previous generation:(
    Not worth the upgrade, P5200 improvement over P5000 is too small compared to P5000 vs M5000M

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I've been editing the post above, I found a shot of the keyboard, it is similar but has been tweaked for the better.

alexhawker likes this.
  8. nords41

nords41 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It`s fantastic! I remember that I asked Dell to redistribute the graphics cards and add the 3000-series to the 75xx! This is my post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...n-5520-7520-7720.800132/page-32#post-10493214

Dell is best of the best!

9. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like they moved the HOME and END keys to where the PrtScr and Insert keys were located previously.

10. pantherqin

pantherqin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tks @Aaron44126 ! great news!

I am wondering... Considering it has 2 TB3, 1 HDMI, 1 mDP 1.4, does it mean it is capable of connecting to
    TWO 4k external display by TB + ONE 4k external display by HDMI + ONE 8k external display by mDP 1.4? (all at 60hz)

I know it is .. perhaps... impossible. However just want to check its maximum capability in terms of external displays. (considering choosing the best possible graphic card option... or would it matter?)

Also, what if build-in display is UHD? Will it affect the capability of connecting to external displays?

Thanks a lot for any answers/speculation !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.