The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7730,5530,7530 (Coffee Lake) pre-release

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by sench, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wonder if it will be possible to swap that keyboard in to a prior-generation laptop and have the keys work right... :p

@pantherqin
    I suspect this totally depends on the capabilities of the GPU driving the displays. That's basically 7x 4K displays. I doubt that the Intel GPU could handle it, but if you have graphics switching turned off, maybe a high-end NVIDIA GPU could...
    The 8K display is what throws a wrench in things. I already have a configuration working with 2x 4K and 2x 1080p all at 60 Hz, on the lowly Precision 7510...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    alexhawker likes this.
  2. pantherqin

pantherqin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126

Haha, ya, I heard we can turn off the intel GPU. And someone complained it would have issues in 7710.. Hopefully by this version it should give us no troubles.

8k is just my theoretical hypothesis. I am happy with 4 x 4k monitor. or even 3 x 4k monitor. However just wondering if there is any ... calculator of some sort, to calculate its maximum capability :D

Plan to have this machine(7730) for at least 4, 5 years. Along the line 4k monitor could be dropped to a reasonable price, and 2 by 2 of 4k would be superb, lol.

3. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that would be interesting. I'm pretty happy with my 7710 gen keyboard layout after using software to enable home/end on the media revers/forward keys. Although I still miss numlock indicator led. I never know if it is enabled or disabled at any moment until I try it. But I digress, don't want to start kb anger management again.

Now that I'm working mostly from dock again (finished my travelling season), I use nice corsair full size keyboard :)

oh snap! new keyboard does have numlock led. I've got to try this kb in my 7710 now :)

alexhawker likes this.
  4. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys.
    Question. How is the 7730 doing 128GB RAM? (3200MHz SuperSpeed memory, and the largest RAM for a mobile device up to 128GB)

More likely to be 4x32GB, right? (It's not 8x16GB right?) By that logic, the 7530 should support the same right? (unless some special tweaking was used to enable it)

https://mspoweruser.com/dell-announ...rful-workstation-laptop-with-up-to-128gb-ram/

Edit:

Apparently 32GB stick x 4. o_O Wow. Pretty impressive. Seems 3200Mhz only runs on 32GB or smaller RAM. Seems if the RAM is bigger than 32GB - it will be running at 2666mhz. I remember samilar thing applied to the previous gen where bigger than 32GB ran at 2400Mhz instead of 2666.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Preci...-for-Dell-s-mobile-workstations.299882.0.html

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This speed discrepancy has been around for several generations but it is a limitation based on the speed of the modules available at the time of the system launch, i.e., in this case they will not be selling 16GB modules at 3200 MHz (because they are not available on the market or they are prohibitively expensive), but if you manage to find some of those modules down the line, they will operate at that speed.

I hadn't heard the 128GB claim — each of the three articles I posted above listed 64GB as the max (one even has a Dell spec sheet attached), but if it's true, that's awesome. Perhaps it is "supported" but it will not be a configuration that you can buy? 32GB SO-DIMM modules have been available for a couple of years now but hard to find.

[Edit]
    I also see from the spec sheet that ECC memory is supported. Previously, a Xeon CPU was required for that. I wonder if the only the i9 supports ECC (in which case it seems that they have just re-branded the Xeon mobile line into i9) or if it is standard across the platform now?

[Edit 2]
    Supposed I'll post the spec sheets for convenience...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

z31fanatic likes this.
  6. pantherqin

pantherqin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ve seen the spec sheet including "128gb" memory options. However it also states "coming soon...".

So.. probably before end of the year...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Preci...-for-Dell-s-mobile-workstations.299882.0.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wonder what version the HDMI is

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The 7000 series systems have HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4.

Curious about the cooling system. The vents on the sides are intake vents, I suppose? I wonder if they will still also have intake vents on the bottom? Still haven't seen a shot of the bottom.

I just noticed in this image that the Precision 7730 appears to have a fancier webcam. Perhaps it supports Windows Hello facial recognition after all.
    [​IMG]

The corresponding 7530 image shows a traditional webcam. Perhaps just separate options will be available?
    [​IMG]

9. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The specs for the 7530 and 7730 show that the FHD non-touch screen has an IR camera, which is required for Windows Hello. The other screens don't have the IR camera.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting the specs. Do we know how heavy the 7730 (with and without power adapter) is yet? It looks lighter than previous generations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.