The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does anyone know, why I cannot install the Dell 5540 card? I bought it separately and it is recognized within the hardware manager. but I cannot find any driver that can be installed. If I take the one from the dell homepage (beneath the m4600 is no 5540 driver) I only get the attached error message.

Attached Files:

• dell.PNG
      dell.PNG
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  2. endorphin

endorphin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello notebookreview-users,

I bought an M4600 last week (WM46010, i5-2520M, AMD FirePro 5950M graphics, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1920x1080 LCD, 9-cell battery). I reinstalled Win7 x64 and I now want to view videos on my TV (Samsung UE40B7090) via HDMI with a 10 meter (33 ft) high-speed HDMI 1.4 cable. Video plays fine (1080p), but I can't get audio via HDMI to work.

I tried numerous options in the audio control panel, selected the AMD HDMI sound module as default, played with the options in the hdmi driver and my tv but with no success. No audio on my tv yet, no system sounds and no sound via video lan client. Even with S/P-DIF-support switched on via DirectX in VLC.

I read the Dell HDMI audio FAQ, but there is no M4600 entry yet: How to Enable HDMI Audio - Laptop Audio Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

Do you use the HDMI-out for audio? Which configuration options are necessary for hdmi-audio-out on M4600/M6600?

3. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My laptop started off on A05 and I'm having problems with my express card slot. Are there any problems with rolling back to a04?

4. nemgue

nemgue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't miss this.
    Dell ships me a replacement keyboard without a key. In addition, the edges, left and right, are damaged. This looks like it recovered from the dustbin.

09-22-2011-DSCF4516-1-Missing-key.JPG Missing a keyboard key.

09-22-2011-DSCF4518-2-.Keyboard-damage.JPG The right edge is damaged.

09-22-2011-DSCF4521-4-Left-edge-Damage.JPG The left edge is damaged.

5. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I experience weird WLAN dropped off every 10-20min with A05. Anyone having this?

6. mcharkowski

mcharkowski Newbie

Reputations:
    Does the top of everyone else's lid have some flex to it. When my lid is closed, if you press the dell logo, the whole shell flexes down ~ 1/4 inch. Is that normal? Seems odd for such a premium machine.

7. endorphin

Reputations:
    I noticed the same yesterday while removing the protection sticker on the dell logo. Seems normal.

8. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine does the same thing, and I did think it odd. I think there's just empty space there, so while it does look bad, I don't think it's harming anything.

9. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try this, under device manager, change the band 2.4 option from "20Mhz only" to "Auto". I get 300mbps by doing this. Earlier always 144mbps

10. endorphin

Reputations:
    The system BIOS/UEFI is independent from the wireless card as far as I know. System BIOS can alter the behavior how the wireless card operates at PCI level, but does know nothing about wireless data transmission configuration. The wireless card has its own independent firmware.