The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. asdalavisa

asdalavisa Newbie

Reputations:
    just ordered mine yesterday :D but i am wondering, most people have upgraded theirs to a SSD. I was wondering if it is worth upgrading later? (probably) :p

2. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok so now the msata
    Runcore Pro V 6GB mSATAIII 120GB RCP-V-T5028-MC

has landed on my doorstep but i can't get it running the way it should be.

when i took out my wwan card and plugged the msata in. i can't see the hard drive in the bios or in windows. (booting from original drive)

but when i put the msata in the adapter and plug it into my newmodulus caddy and boot up to windows , i can see the drive as d:

when i have the msata in, taken out the original hard drive, have the dvd drive back in: try to install windows, it says there is no hard drive to install to.

so am i right in guessing that the m4600 can't detect this msata drive ? even though i am on a05 bios ?

3. tom_bell07

tom_bell07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Best upgrade hands down that I've ever done. Laptop is a completely different machine once you have a SSD installed.

4. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did additional testing, and I can not achieve turbo boost without using ThrottleStop. Turbo boost is enabled in the BIOS, and I am running on AC power If anybody else could verify this behavior, I would definitely appreciate it.

I have a Dell M4600 with the Intel 2720qm (http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-2_20-GHz)). Recently upgraded to A05 bios, and I have the IPS screen (so no optimus). It's supposed to turbo to up to 3.3 ghz, but it seems that I'm only getting a max of 2.2 ghz!

Necessary programs:
    1. Intel BurnTest: Download IntelBurnTest 2.52 Free - Stress your computer to find out how stable it is - Softpedia
    2. ThrottleStop: Downloads | Tech|Inferno
    3. Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3052&DwnldID=19105&lang=eng

I start the intel monitor. Then I run Intel BurnTest, setting the number of threads to 1. This is the default configuration, and the CPU maxes out at 2.2 ghz, see below:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the CPU never goes into turbo boost.

Next, I run ThrottleStop. I check the "set multiplier" box, increase it to "Turbo". Then hit the "Turn on" button. This does not increase the CPU speed, it only enables turbo boost (so the intel monitor should show a low cpu frequency). Now, I run the Intel BurnTest again, and get the following result, with the CPU at 3.2 ghz:
    [​IMG]

This is kind of disappointing, since I shouldn't need to run ThrottleStop to enable turbo mode :(. Is there something I'm missing?! Again, turbo boost is enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried the different power scheme settings with no real difference.

5. nemgue

nemgue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok, The adapter work fine:

"Display port to DVI" is working fine, "HDMI to HDMI" is working fine and "VGA to VGA" is working fine too.

but, only 3 externals monitors, the 4th monitor is disabled :eek: , only 3 monitors.
    [​IMG]
    Before this adapter I could only connect 2 monitors.

One question, the numeric keypad has the # 3 that is not lit or has other color, it reminds me unlit keyboards, is this normal or is damaged?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. nemgue

nemgue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did. SSD Corsair, look at this.

7. Tundra08

Tundra08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Not sure if I missed anything since I've been away from the forum for a bit, but has there been any updates on the ETA of the IPS display with the Firepro M5950?

8. s.m

s.m Newbie

Reputations:
    Same problem here with turbo boost. I reinstall bios A04 to solve the problem

9. byl233

byl233 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem...so upset :(

10. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming the problem for me. I run a lot of single-threaded apps, so this is a big bummer.

I suspect it has to do with the A05 bios -- is that the version you're running, or are you on A04?