The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. byl233

byl233 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm on A05. I just got my M4600 the day before yesterday with A05 BIOS. That is why I feel some lags when Windows starts up although I'm using Crucial C300 SSD.

2. dansi

dansi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    great find A05 bios is the ugly duckling, same experience where the clock turbo maxes at 2.2ghz, the wifi n becomes limited to 130mbps.
    Dell FAILED totally in this update.

3. seb87

seb87 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for cad-photoshop is better take the nvidia 2000 or the ati m5950 video card ?

msata channel is sata2 or sata3 ?

4. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone been using there express card port successively on A05? I bought a multilane esata card and when I plug it in the computer doesn't detect it and starts running really odd. (Slow, freezes up, hard drive light goes solid.) As soon as you pull it out all is good again. I am just curious as never had any problems on my M4500.

5. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    M4600 has built in powered esata port, you really need that many hdds?

I have only soundcard and usb3 expresscard, both working good.

Is the esata card you use a powered esata or just normal esata? the problem you are having is after plugging in the card or after connecting hdd?

6. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm also noticed that a05 doesnt turbo up at all, but the wireless was still going at 300mbps for me . went back to a04 and all is well again, cpu clocking up

7. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This might be a silly question, but where is the A04 bios? I couldn't find it on Dell's site :(

EDIT: Never mind, I found the "other versions" link. A04 here I come!

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=-1&osl=en&vercnt=5&os=W764&checkFormat=false

EDIT2: Downgraded the bios to A04 and turbo is working fine.

8. asdalavisa

asdalavisa Newbie

Reputations:
    just got an estimated delivery date for my laptop, 6th of October. When it was ordered on the 19th of September. So excited!! i think i will order a Ocz Vortex 3 240GB as a celebration present :D

9. boss428man

Reputations:
    Yup esata dorbo and raids.. I need fast and secure storage for 16tb of HD and 2K footage. That is why i need the multilane the normal esata card is just a single plug works great for mobile but in the studio i need full fled multilane esata.

10. boss428man

Reputations:
    Also check out the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SSD and the new one I forget the name. Mine works amazing and they have the best tech support I have ever had.. Very personal and MADE IN THE US which is cool.