The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    $10 says you never buy an HP or a Dell.

2. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go to the top of the dell page and go to support. Go to drivers and downloads, select the M4600 from the selection menu and then on the far left click on Manuals its right there.

3. BeamerPhoto

BeamerPhoto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a random question...

Does anyone else have BIOS A05? I received my replacement system a week ago and almost immediately noticed it had A05, but today I saw that it still isn't on the Dell site. Just curious.

4. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What was wrong with your other laptop that it needed replacement out of curiosity? A05 is good news

Question has anyone tried overclocking their i7-2920XM?

5. lman123

lman123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone explain how Dell disable Optimus and integrated gpu on laptop with IPS display?

is it possible to use bios from like say one without the ips display to show/enable the integrated gpu on the one with the IPS display?

6. GJM_77

GJM_77 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK .. I accept your bet .. if you could pay it

7. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its a Deal :)

8. tom_bell07

tom_bell07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is great news.. Can't wait to see the change log.

9. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    There is only one version of the BIOS for IPS and non-IPS systems. The BIOS knows what panel is installed and enables different features accordingly. The IPS panel systems do not support Optimus due to the reasons that Boken has spoken about in great detail, and accurately.

10. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I spent a lot of time reading through Intel's engineering whitepapers for their current Sandy Bridge mobile chips.

To get Optimus to work, the video card and integrated GPU need to be able to basically share all of the information needed to drive the display.

The Intel integrated GPUs currently support 8 bit color. The Nvidia and ATI video cards currently support 10 bit color.

Since the vast majority of laptop panels only support 6bit color, there are no problems with Optimus working. The video card runs at 6 bits and the integrated GPU run at 6 bits. They are able to "share" their data and switch off seamlessly.

The problem comes from the IPS panel in the Dell M4600 being a 10 bit panel. Since the Intel GPU only supports 8bit color, it can not share the data with the 10 bit video card.

You could do what HP does and have a 10 bit video card taken down to 8 bits for transfer to a 10 bit panel. The only problem with this is that you are throwing away 768 shades of red, green, and blue. To be honest, I have no idea of why HP has that 8 bit connection. They don't support Optimus.

If Dell had thrown away those 768 shades of r,g, and b, they probably could have made Optimus work with no issues. They didn't. They probably know how obsessive about accurate color some people are.

Dell chose to bypass Optimus altogether for the best possible color performance from the IPS panel.

I do wish there were some way to switch down to 8bit color in the bios and enable Optimus. The problem is that it would mess up a lot of things in a color managed workflow.