The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. kscarch

kscarch Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks Beamer! Looking forward to my delivery on the 21st!

2. kasimodem

kasimodem Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I'm sorry to insist again about this, but I don't really find a clear answer in the thread. Is there a way or not to switch the IPS screen between the different color spaces aRGB, sRGB and NTSC ?

The documentation say yes here but can't find how to do it : Dell - Help Me Choose: Displays
    "Internal color space selection: PremierColor-supported Dell Precision laptops come with internal color space selection ability via installed application. Color space selection enables the users to select their desired color space such as NTSC, sRGB and Adobe® based on their desired output without having to use external calibration tools."

Thanks.

3. pcolmer

pcolmer Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm very pleased with my M4600. I am however having a couple of problems with it:

1. Occasionally, the trackpad stops responding for a while. The pointstick continues to work. I've seen similar behaviour with the Latitudes and it frustrates the heck out of me.

2. All of a sudden, I can't get external USB-connected hard drives to work! Memory sticks and other USB devices continue to work. The hard drives just don't register as functioning drives, but they work fine if I connect them to a different Dell system.

Is anyone else seeing either of these problems? Any suggestions? If not, I'll call Dell Support and see what they say ... hopefully not a request to completely reinstall Windows :-(.

On the subject of installing Windows, has anyone switched over to UEFI? I'm assuming you have to make the BIOS change first and then reinstall Windows? Is there a boot benefit seen afterwards?

Thanks.

Philip

4. lman123

lman123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    base on personal experience yes you can switch between them.

click start > all programs > dell system manager > system and devices manager

5. nemgue

nemgue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My brand new Precision M4600.

I decided to buy this laptop because I wanted a laptop that can connect 3 monitors plus the laptop LCD (4 total), and I chose the FirePro 5950, but is that to connect 3 monitors need an external monitor with DisplayPort connector or "Active adapter" that converts DisplayPort to DVI, otherwise it could not connect more than 2 monitors -as at this time :-( .

[​IMG]

Win 7 rate: [​IMG]

Dell Precision M4600
    Processor: I7-2820QM (Win 7 rate: 7.5)
    Graphics: AMD Firepro 5950 (Win 7 rate: 6.9)
    SSD: Corsair 120 Gb GT (Win 7 rate: 7.9)
    Memory: 16GB PnP Kingston (2x8GB) KHX1600C9S3P1K2-8G (Win 7 rate: 7.8)

Tomorrow my friend will bring his M4600 (he has the Quadro 1000M). I want to try if I can connect 3 external monitors plus Laptop LCD (4 total).

6. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you could get three external monitors it would be success in my eyes. Let us know how it goes..

7. boss428man

boss428man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok my M4600 just came in and I'm happy with it. I haven't turned it on but the build quality is excellent way better then my m4400 which isn't bad just can't compare to this.

&

Thing looks amazing. Some of the pictures online on the Dell site make it look like light plastic.. it isn't. Its more like a sophisticated gunmetal. See - for a good understanding and excellent write up.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...large-pics-personal-opinions.html#post7744910

Its funny in the review he mentions trying to compare the color to a car, well taking a photo of it is also is like cars some are tough to photograph to look good. The M4600 is a tough laptop to take a picture of to get the real feel of it. Its just much better then what I saw online.

Its a dark almost black but as light hits it it changes color. Very nice. I was a bit worried because I like black and gray plastic looks cheap.. This thing looks great and its does not feel cheap. Very robust.. Ok just adding more points to the good reviews on here. I'll let everyone know what it plays with video and audio editing ;-)

Also I had an M4400 that had some keyboard flex but the M4600 doesn't have any even where the memory is under the keyboard. Solid once again.

8. jainoxi

jainoxi Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a M4600, and I have two questions regarding the unit:
    1. There are two types of 9-cell batteries: the 87 and the 97 Wh. What's the difference between the two?
    2. I'm planning on using a WWAN card, so the mSATA SSD is out of the question. I will use the internal 2.5" slot for an aftermarket SSD and a caddy with the 750GB SATA drive. Will the optical bay do SATA-600 or just SATA-300?

9. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2. SATA 300 as i know.

10. evovii

evovii Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same laptop as yours. I have been trying to connect 3 external monitors to it but unsuccessful. Dell tech support told me that I must use a docking station ($200). I do believe it is doable without using docking station because the laptop has three video outputs namely VGA, HDMI, and DP. HP Envy 17 has the similar graphics card and it supports 3 external monitors without docking station. If you are able to make it works, please let me know.