The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GPU max is 68C in Furmark. FM is a synthetic load that is built to max temps.

2. Dirtnap

Dirtnap Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Aaron44126, you gotta tape this and post the video in this thread. This is good stuff sir.

P.S how is windows 8 in your opinion.

3. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. That is very impressive temperature for a GPU with this performance. :)

4. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GPU clocks are very conservative. The stock Dell cooling is very good. The GPU clocks are exactly the same in the HP. This means to me that Nvidia set the clocks this low and not Dell.

Will be pulling the GPU heatsink to see what the RAM is rated at.

5. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Anyone brought the covet m6700 yet?

6. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Do any for you m6700 owners use any linux distros?

7. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Reorded mine (sad story buy yes I had to cancel then reorder) on 7/31 but still stuck "in production" with a 9/13 estimated delivery date. Any ideas why the delay for Covets?

--Brian

8. awalt

awalt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I came across one small but annoying problem with my 6700, I can't figure it out yet:

When I close the lid I am getting the device connect sound and when I open it up I am getting the device disconnect sound! I know these were the sounds, and it does CONNECT when the lid is closed not disconnect, because I compared it to Sounds in Control Panel. I made sure the Power setting is set to do nothing when plugged in, when the lid was closed, and I unplugged every USB on my laptop, but it still happens. I changed the Windows sounds to "No sounds", closed the lid, and sure enough nothing was heard. So then I went back to Windows Default, and the sound is back. Any ideas?

EDIT: The connect sound is definitely when the display turns off, not on the snapping of the display shut. I can tell this by slowly closing the lid and watching for the display to turn off - then the CONNECT sound plays. By playing around with sound profiles I determined the sound is in fact "Windows Hardware Insert.wav".

What is connecting, and how do I turn off the sound?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol, thanks.

A couple more things I have found since yesterday.

The audio drivers from Dell have an odd behavior — when I connect a pair of headphones, the sound still comes out of the laptop speakers and not the headphones. I reverted back to the stock Win8 drivers and now things work as expected. Hmmmmm...

Also, I noticed this under Win7 too. In the BIOS setup, I disabled the dock serial port and parallel port (because I do not have a dock and probably won't ever use one). The parallel port still shows up in device manager. Not a big deal, but strange.

I purchased and installed my BD-RE drive aftermarket. It's a Panasonic UJ-252 (the same model that Dell uses). Today I tried to play a Blu-ray movie. Cyberlink PowerDVD gave me an error that it could not authenticate my optical drive, and to contact my optical drive manufacturer for assistance. Did I get some sort of shady bootleg Blu-ray drive? :p
    Anyway, I was able to work around it with AnyDVD HD, which I purchased when I had trouble playing Blu-ray on my previous machine.

Anyway, as for my opinions of Windows 8. It's not really on topic so I'll keep in short (maybe we can open another thread if you are interested in discussion). There are a lot of improvements in Windows 8 that I appreciate. If you haven't, you should check out Microsoft's "Building Windows 8" blog as there are a lot of in-depth posts about various new features and improvements. However, most people will focus on the new "touch/metro" interface and Start menu replacement that has been introduced, since that is the most visible. That was what I was most skeptical about. At this point, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might; it's just kind of there. Will have to wait and see what kind of apps are introduced to see if it seems worth having or not. Otherwise, no complaints really.

10. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I'm going to guess its because your webcam if you have one connecting and disconnecting.