The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is "normal" since part of the hardware ID is determined by the motherboard model — the hardware ID presented in your system will never match an "official" M4000M vBIOS. This is also why you have to mod the INF to get the driver to install. When flashing there is an argument that you can pass to nvflash to bypass this. (I think it is "overridesub".)

2. jbuildit

jbuildit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I was able to write the VBIOS I extracted from the card back onto itself, so I could override any security in regards to mismatched ID's. However, if I try to write any custom VBIOS roms the BIOS Certification protocol blocks any of them, saying they are "Invalid." Even with something so simple as bumping up the VRAM speeds by +50 MHz still resulted in an "invalid" VBIOS. I'm doing this using TechPowerUp's MaxwellBiosTweaker, which can read and write all necessary VBIOS data. I just can't seem to get around some sort of self-defense in the nvflash application...

3. Csupati

Csupati Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For the GTX 970m(china version) ends the same 053F and optimus is off, inf modding was needed to recognize the gpu properly. I tried unverified dell 970m bios , msi and clevo bot the ID not changing.

4. thock

thock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not exactly related to the M6700, but kind of.

I have an E-Port Plus II port replicator that I use with my M6700 Covet. I have been looking for ways to test/troubleshoot the ports on that device. Does anyone have any advice? I am mostly interested in the USB ports, as I think one or more of them may be going bad.

5. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why not get a new dock? They're dirt cheap.

6. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Installed a WX 7100 in my daily to replace a w7170m and have to say thus far it works well even with the 120hz panel with no BS. Was kinda surprised by the power consumption thinking that it would only be 80s as reported by another user however it didn't furnace or anything so it still runs cooler than the m6100 for example. Also the most current diver is only a week old so that is nice.

7. Csupati

Csupati Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is your gpu temp? For my M6000 is 40-50 at full load , and for the 970m is 70-80 at full load.

8. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So far it tops out in the low to mid 70s with out the fans doing much though come summer that will have changed obviously. All in all it has been pretty nice thus far and very stable without any problems. It is noticeably faster than the w7170m and is much easier to handle than the furnace m6100.

9. jbuildit

jbuildit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Probably the best thing you can do to test them is use a USB drive and check the read and write speeds. You can use this to both check for intermittent file transfer problems and if the read/write speeds are seriously impacted, granted there will be some slight reductions due to the port replication. CrystalDiskMark is a good tool for this, or you could just drag a large 1 GB file between the USB drive and the M6700 and see if it has freezes.

If it's latency or problems with a mouse then you could try something like a polling rate website which records the polling rate of the mouse. If the mouse is ever jittery or cuts out the polling rate will be very inconsistent.

Or you just do this. I picked up a decent E-Port Plus II for $12.50 on Ebay.

10. thock

thock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I hadn't considered a replacement. But I'd still want to test to make sure all the ports are functional.

Thanks for the testing ideas!