The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Power limits can't be raised or removed on Precisions below Haswell right?

2. jbuildit

jbuildit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Without using certain tools no. The CPU is kind of locked to its TDP, and although there are a couple tools to unlock clocks you aren't going to be able to use more than 65W due to power delivery. The GPU actually can go farther than 100W but it's unlikely that whatever card you have can support that much power output. The RAM timings actually can be edited using either a hacked Dell BIOS (kinda risky) or GRUB tweaking. I have very little experience outside of CPU and GPU OC'ing but these guys on the M4600 forum were able to get 2133 MHz working with GRUB editing (if only I understood how lol). I would link the posts but I don't know if I could find them again.

3. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    I know my way around a UEFI shell but I don't see any variables that control the power limit.

4. jbuildit

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to get more recent NVIDIA drivers working? The newest driverpack that will complete an install is 426.50 (02/2020). I want to try and get 471.41 or 472.12 to work but after starting the installation the driver fails to install. I've pasted in the tweaked nvdmwi.inf file and the installer clears the EULA no problem but after selecting the graphics and audio drivers I can't seem to get either to finish installing. Any ideas or other driver packs that I could install instead?

5. jbuildit

Reputations:
    Are you using any tools or just looking at the stock Dell BIOS? There is no way to tweak power profiles on the Mx600 or Mx700 systems within the UEFI BIOS, unless you're doing something related to battery power.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  6. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    NvCleanstall.

I'm using GRUB's setup_var and this: https://pastebin.com/N3U53kHz

7. jbuildit

Reputations:
  8. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    I don't know wtf I did but I managed to let the 3840QM pull 75W during the TS benchmark. Not bad!

9. jbuildit

Reputations:
    That is certainly a feat! Did you ever hit TJmax? I believe the 3840QM can handle up to 105C. I was able to get 472.12 to install properly with NVCleanstall. Now I can finally play Halo Infinite with 23 FPS.

10. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    IIRC it didn't go above 95C, am using GC-Extreme and the base plate+keyboard removed.