The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 3pim3th3us

3pim3th3us Newbie

Reputations:
    The software I'd use on my m6800 is CPU-reliant, so other than an odd session of video editing, the GPU would be used for games.
    Has anyone successfully modded their Firepro M6100 drivers? Does this work the same as with Quadro->Geforce? Will the mod make the gpu appear as a radeon, which card should I thus be checking for compatibility?

2. notepek

notepek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update on those Crucial Ballistix... I got a confirmation from Crucial that those modules are the same product as those sold with a different product number on the Crucial site and "Guaranteed compatible" with Precision M6800. Hence I bought them. And just tried them. The machine doesn't even start... Just gives error leds for memory error.

Has anyone else tried those?

I will contact Crucial tomorrow...

3. notepek

Reputations:
    Talked to Crucial, they maintain that the modules should work and they have sold a bunch of those to M6800 owners. So if any one of you are reading this, I would really like to hear any sort of confirmation if those Crucials have been tested to either work or not with M6800 or M6700.

They also asked me to check if there's any BIOS settings that I could alter but as far as I can see, there really aren't any memory configuration options? There is that fastboot option which might have effect and is set to thorough (default setting).

To me it seems that either I happened to got 4 faulty modules (tried them individually) or they are not as compatible as Crucial claims.

4. Shane Stump

Shane Stump Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy All!

I am finally getting ready to purchase a M6800 to replace the M6700 I just gave to my partner.

Can the 4930 be overclocked in the M6800 or should I just get an I7-4900?

Thanks in advance!

Shane

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Aside from the "turbo boost" feature, there's no way to overclock the CPUs in the Precision for now.

6. alqbek

alqbek Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally i ordered m6800 :)

I want to add additional hard drive (SSD).
    I want to place it in 2nd slot.
    Do i need additional bay to place 2,5" ssd?
    Or maybe mSata is faster thand 2,5'' ssd?

Additionally i would like to buy dock for precision.
    Is PR03X working with the m6800 or should i look for the other one?

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The caddy and screws for the secondary 2.5" drive bay are included even if you don't buy a second drive.
    The 2.5" bay and mSATA port both operate at SATA-3 so performance difference depends solely on the performance of the drive that you choose.

PR03X should work fine. Make sure you use a 210 watt (or higher) power adapter though. You won't get USB 3.0 on the dock.

8. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    My m6800 should be here tomorrow...

i7 4800mq
    AMD m6100
    8gb memory
    256gb SSD
    1080p IPS screen(I'm assuming that's what 'wideview" is)
    etc...

9. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, Dell has dropped 17" IPS screens some time ago with the M6700, even before the M6800 was launched.

The M6800 is only available with a TN panel (I think) or touchscreen (also not IPS). However, the screen of the M6800 is much better than other TN panels I have seen.

The 'WideView' part refers to the wide viewing angle of the display. According to the Dell website, this means that the viewing angles are at least 110º horizontally and 90º vertically.

10. notepek

Reputations:
    The screen quality depends on how lucky you are... Dell uses panels from multiple manufacturers (Chi Mei, LG, AUO at least) and mine has a Chi Mei 173HGE, which is commonly used in much cheaper laptops (Clevo based small brands etc.). Mine has a yellowish tone to it and when the backlight is not on max there's clearly visible and frankly quite annoying flickering, especially visible on dark gray backgrounds. I assume that's caused by the backlight being adjusted with a cheap solution by constantly turning it rapidly on/off. My M6600 had the same with a crappy Chi Mei as well.