The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. tririver

tririver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. TAURUS77

TAURUS77 Newbie

Reputations:
    hello boys and girls!
    I ordered the M6800, but Dell is delaying deliveries, it is simply absurd:
    I paid the notebook November 27, shipped on 5 December and still not received it yet. Disappointed and disgusted.
    In the meantime, I wish you a question
    it is possible to install 32GB of RAM at 1866MHz ?
    If Yes, what brand and model is fully compatible?

3. notepek

notepek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone received an M6800 with a Chi Mei panel? I have one with Chi Mei 173HGE and it seems to have quite yellowish tone to it which I haven't been able to correct. Wasn't it mentioned in some other thread that Dell was going to stop using those crappy Chi Mei panels?

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There were some bad Chi Mei panels back when the M6600 was new and Dell pulled them from the production line. However newer Chi Mei panels have been used in the M6X00 series since then. If you have a bad one, call up Dell and have them swap it out with something else.

5. notepek

Reputations:
    HWINFO reports that my panel was manufactured on the second week of 2011. So it seems those pulled panels that were not good enough for M6600 are now good enough again to be pushed to M6800... So Dellish.

6. notepek

Reputations:
    I have seen several forum posts saying Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 1866MHz configuration works with M6700, although possibly slightly below maximum speed according to some. So I would guess it should work with the M6800 as well but I would also like to hear if somebody knows that for fact as I'm planning to order such memories. As far as I know, that is currently the only available option with that size and rated speed.

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Skimmed through the thread and didn't see anyone post about this. What is up with the m6800 specs? For something that's supposed to be top of the line mobile powerhouse it's got some rather lackluster specs for the top end model. Mid range quadro? Did anyone hear about what's going on with the offerings? Barely any customization too.

8. notepek

Reputations:
    It seems to be quite typical for Dell that there are very limited options provided online, especially for new models. You can probably get more options plus lower price if you contact sales directly.

At least here (in Europe) the trend has been that Dell is providing fewer and fewer easily available options and at the same time the quality and customer service has went down the drain. It certainly wouldn't be my first or second choice anymore.

9. notepek

Reputations:
    Just noticed that there are actually two such memory models in existence and sold at least by Newegg, although only the latter one can be found from the Corsair website:

CORSAIR Vengeance Performance Model CMSX16GX3M2A1866C10 Laptop Memory - Newegg.com
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Laptop Memory Model CMSX16GX3M2B1866C10

The first one is mentioned for 2nd and 3rd generation Core CPUs with 10-11-10-30 latency and the latter for 4th gen also with timing 10-10-10-32. So I suppose the correct model has to be the latter one but can somebody confirm for fact that the timing is correct for M6800?

Update: Apparently there is another possible option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148729

Specs are similar, no official information whether that would work.

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I dunno, the m6600 and m6700 both had a bunch of options in specs on the website. Then suddenly the m6800 seems like they decided to "consolize" the laptop by making it one set config per tier.