The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, WiGig uses the 60 GHz band.

My knowledge of antennas and radio signals is very limited. I was just wondering if there actually is a difference in the antennas (e.g. length, quality, etc.).

That is expensive. Not sure why Dell would put such a high price tag on the touch panel, Wacom or not.

I'm not sure if it's N-trig, but I'm quite sure it's not Wacom. Maybe you can ask in the M6700 Owner's Thread.

I doubt there will be many owners of an M6700 with touch panel. Although announced early on, it took Dell very long to actually offer it as an option.

2. TAURUS77

TAURUS77 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all!
    I am an Italian mechanical engineer. In a few days I'll have to work with a new software in particular with PTC Creo 2.0.
    I am looking to buy a notebook DELL Precision M6800 but I'm undecided on the choice of CPU i7 4800mq or i74900mq.
    Does anyone of you can give me advice on what to choose because the difference is about 390 €.
    In comparison AMD Firepro M6100 vs. Nvidia Quadro K3100 which card is best??
    Thanks in advance for the help that you give me

3. notepek

notepek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    AFAIK the performance difference is well below 10% so at least I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth it even if the price difference would be only half of that. You can find new 4900mq CPUs listed on Ebay for less than 400€ so I wouldn't even consider it with that difference.

4. EricC67

EricC67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Performance appart. Firepro driver is not OpenGL 4.3 compatible yet.
    If you need CUDA processing, go for NVIDIA.

5. mozi

mozi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From AMD's website, it shows FirePro M6100 does support OpenGL 4.3
    AMD FirePro

6. mozi

mozi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @EricC67, have you tried to run any OpenGL shaders on your Firepro M6100? What's the performance like compared with other Nvidia Quadro cards (if by chance you could do the test).

I am really curious about the OpenGL performance of M6100, as I am thinking to buy a M6800 with the Firepro card.

Thanks in advance.

7. EricC67

EricC67 Newbie

Reputations:
    In theory yes. Unfortunately the latest driver from AMD which are supporting 4.3 crash on my machine. That's probably the reason dell is not proposing it on their website...

8. EricC67

EricC67 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't have a NVIDIA Quadro on hand. Indeed I was looking for 4.3 to do some GLSL compute shader programming. If you have a OpenGL benchmark tool in mind I could test it.
    You can also find informations on both cards here:
    AMD FirePro M6100 - NotebookCheck.net Tech
    NVIDIA Quadro K3100M - NotebookCheck.net Tech
    Results are less complet for the M6100 but is ranked higher than K3100

9. radekrat

radekrat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did any of you guys experience problems with strange loud noise generated by DVD drive every so often? It freaks me out sometimes as the laptop is completly silent with office applications and suddenly that noise comes out.
    You can get a heart attack.

Help?

10. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Check if there is a BIOS update - on the M4800, BIOS A03 takes care of that noise.