The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 3pim3th3us

3pim3th3us Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear owners,
    I'm considering the 4800mq+m6100 version, mainly for use in very quiet environments. I cant find this config reviewed, so I'd be very grateful for your answers.
    -what kind of volume do the fans produce when going through a heavy load (not stress test), with all cores running? Are we looking at 45+ dB? Do they ramp up smoothly? How long do you have before they go all out? I've seen the linux user review, is it similar on windows? Can you tweak the cooling profile @ full clock rate so that fan noise is less apparent?
    -Has anyone had the chance to talk with dell reps about the "fan issue" mentioned in the nbc review's verdict? What are your thoughts on the possibility of a fix?
    -if same as m6700, are the heat sinks single- or double lane?
    -does enduro work alright?

As a side note, has anyone been playing dayz standalone alpha, or ac:black flag? Ultra quality?
    Thanks,
    Epi

2. mitchellboy

mitchellboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone who has K4100M or K5100M, could you share your vBIOS file with me please? I am making my own vBIOS. You can easily get it from GPU-Z.0.7.5. Many thanks.

3. 3pim3th3us

3pim3th3us Newbie

Reputations:
    Right, so I read the previous thread and it does provide some answers to my questions, it paints a dark picture unfortunately.
    Any opinions on whether dell will fix throttling? This is just a refresh, with same TDP... I'm thinking about the copper radiator, they've gotten worse m6600>m6700. Can anyone confirm if the cooling is changed?
    Would love to hear about dayz still...

4. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Heat sink is a whole new design. Better IMHO than the M6700.

5. 3pim3th3us

3pim3th3us Newbie

Reputations:
    @Bokeh
    Thanks, but what about throttling? Unfortunately there aren't many reviews, but the consensus seems to be that m6700 had none, as opposed to m6800. That and how noisy it gets are what's stalling my decision... I guess I'll just have to find a shop where they'll let me run some tests. I hope to report back.
    Btw could you post pics of the new heatpipe for posterity?

6. stekicar

stekicar Newbie

Reputations:
    CAD designers might need this info.

SPECapc Creo 2.0 M090 benchmark score for Dell M6700 with 3940xm, K4000M and 16Gb DDR3-1600 RAM

OVERALL
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Graphics Composite (groups 3 & 4) = 3.78
    Shaded Graphics Composite (group 4) = 4.69
    Wireframe Graphics Composite (group 3) = 3.04
    CPU Composite (group 1) = 3.85
    I/O Composite (group 2) = 2.41

APPLICATION WORKFLOWS
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Worldcar_Graphics (test 1) = 5.73
    Worldcar_Regen (test 2) = 2.13
    Worldcar_Retessellation (test 3) = 2.49
    Worldcar_Engine_Mass_Properties (test 4) = 3.10
    Worldcar_Load_Erase_Load (test 5) = 2.48
    Worldcar_Body_Graphics (test 6) = 2.22
    IGES_Import_Export (test 7) = 2.36
    Worldcar_Engine_Drawing_New (test 8) = 5.37

7. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    It looks like I'll be joining this club...

8. sp00nhead

sp00nhead Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, Mine came this morning :) time for some setup and playing around. Next job is finding a bag i like.
    Anyone got any pointers ? this is my first 17" laptop

9. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was able to use one for a couple of weeks last year. I don't have an M6800 right now.

Throttling was not an issue on the with the 4930XM / K4100M combo. The only way to get it to throttle is to load the CPU and GPU with a 90 or 130 watt power adapter instead of the usual 210 or 240. I did a lot of testing to try and get it to throttle under some extreme conditions and it never did.

Noise depends on the thermal load from the CPU and GPU. Normal desktop work is very quiet even with short bursts (10 - 20 seconds) of high CPU or GPU load. If you have a sustained load, the fans will kick in to cool the machine.

10. 3pim3th3us

3pim3th3us Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Bokeh – your remarks on throttling are of great help.

With regards to fan noise, I realize that it's a matter of frequency content, and not the volume per se. Fans with very high rpms can be very annoying even at low volumes, and usually low rpm fans, with good bearings, produce a smooth swoosh that is acceptable at the same SPL. NBC seems to use dBA which is designed to account for that, but I'm just not so sure if their results are entirely reliable. Again, I'll just have to visit a store and check it out.