The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmm now to hunt for an m6800 that isnt an arm and a leg lol

2. ruboj

ruboj Newbie

Reputations:
    speaking of throttling, did you have to modify your heatsink to work with the card ?

heheh, seeing one on ebay right now that comes with a 4810mq, 16gb of ram and without a hard drive for 189 $.

3. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Not that I can recall . My heatsink worked with s 970 which I still have and I think I might had to grind off a tad bit of material but not a drastic mod I'll think about grabbing that one ;) now just to wait for pay day

4. ruboj

ruboj Newbie

Reputations:
    not bad, the rtx cards are becming more and more appealing. at the very least it will be an interesting challenge trying to get them to work with my machine.

Thank you again for the information you've given me it has really helped me arrive to a decision. roll on pay day... ;)

5. Zero 1

Reputations:
    It's s pain but it absolutely can be done :)

ruboj likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can also look at HP's Turing Quadro RTX cards which aren't too hard to find on eBay. They are not standard MXM format though. They're a little bit large but I believe the M6800 has enough room around the MXM slot to hold them. It would require drilling some holes in the heatsink to match up with the X-bracket screw holes because the "core" GPU chip is in a different position. (They've been reported working in Precision M6700 — when Pascal cards would not — so reasonable to expect they'd work in the M6800 as well.)

ruboj and Zero 1 like this.
  7. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Yes I'm 90 percent sure they would work :)

ruboj likes this.
  8. philhalo66

philhalo66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got an M6800 a few days ago and no matter what drive i try the secondary drive is not detected in the bios or windows. It also takes a super long time to get past the dell logo and windows often says INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen. i've tried multiple SSD's and none are detected but they all work in the primary HDD slot. any ideas?

9. ruboj

ruboj Newbie

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126 i've seen it mentioned on these forums that you need to solder on a vbios chip on previous hp mxm cards, is this still the case with hp's turing cards ?

Zero 1 likes this.
  10. Zero 1

Reputations:
    two things to check . ram and then in the bios i would try loading everything to defaults and trying again